Looking for a DCS-100

Discuss older Nikon-based Kodak digital SLRs, including DCS 100, DCS 200, NC2000, DCS 400/600/700-series, etc. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
NIKON KIU

Post by NIKON KIU »

Nikon Kiu... if you really want a DCS 315, (or a DCS 1,3,5,410,420, or 460) email me, as I've got a few I'd be glad to sell to anyone on this board. They also made a DCS 330... just in case you're collecting the entire Nikon line.
email is drummond93_at_aol.com
Hi John,
Didn't know you were looking for one...here is a member offering one!
Wow $727.11!!
I'll find you a cheaper one!
Kiu
Lets talk Nikon
Ross_Alford

Post by Ross_Alford »

Some eBay comments:

Sniping is *very* common. I almost always use an automated sniping service, Hammersnipe, http://hammertap.auctionstealer.com/home.cfm when I am serious about an item. It's free to use and I have been using it for years with no problems. You put in your maximum bid, and it bids for you about 15 seconds before the end of the auction. They also have a pay service that snipes in the last 5 seconds, or something like that. I think that sniping is definitely the way to go for buying on eBay. Saves driving the price up, and having people come in and probe until they get just above your maximum. Using the automated service also saves having to remember to be there at just the right time to snipe by hand. Less fun, though.

The E3 that Kiu mentioned is the one I bought. I wasn't too unhappy when I realized that the person who sniped but didn't win it is a dealer. I always figure that if I have beaten out a dealer by one eBay bid increment, I obviously must not have paid too much :D Same thing apparently applies to your DCS 100.

Ross
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

DCS 100 price

Post by NikonWeb »

NIKON KIU wrote: Wow $727.11!!
I'll find you a cheaper one!
Hi Kiu,

I don't think $727 is bad for a DCS100, incl. the DSU and F3 body. I doubt that you can find a much cheaper one, but please prove me wrong :-)

One disturbing thing I just noticed though: As far as I can tell, there's no mentioning of the digital back, and it's not visible in any of the photos. Unless the back (including the sensor) is included, it's not really a (complete) DCS100. Too bad. Hopefully, it's there, even if it isn't listed in the text.

Jarle
pfraser

Post by pfraser »

Webmaster wrote
One disturbing thing I just noticed though: As far as I can tell, there's no mentioning of the digital back, and it's not visible in any of the photos.
It mentions the "Kodak DCS Camera winder". Is that not integral with the back?

Pete
NIKON KIU

Post by NIKON KIU »

Looking at the last picture in the auction listing....I see a camera back/attachment with big DCS markings...Thats the digital back.8)
Everyone agree?
I think this is the original DCS(1) and NOT the DCS100. or are they the same?
Pete I think you need to enlighten us when you receive the rig.
Kiu
Lets talk Nikon
pfraser

Post by pfraser »

NIKON KIU
I think this is the original DCS(1) and NOT the DCS100. or are they the same?
Pete I think you need to enlighten us when you receive the rig.
Will do. I thought the DCS and the DCS-100 were the same thing. I thought the DCS was re-named in preparation for the DCS-200, but I'm far from being an expert.

Pete
NikonWeb
Site Admin

DCS. DCS100

Post by NikonWeb »

pfraser wrote:It mentions the "Kodak DCS Camera winder". Is that not integral with the back?
No, the winder and the digital back are two separate pieces.

Kiu: The last photo is the DSU carrying case. It's not a part of the camera.

The DCS and DCS100 is the same thing. It was originally labeled DCS, but was later referred to as DSC100 to avoid confusion with later models. According to former Kodak DCS Product Manager Jay Kelbley:

On the "DCS 100", keep in mind that while it was "current' this was never sold as a "DCS 100"..
It was sold as the "DCS" ("Digital Camera System").
It was not tagged with the "100" until we annouced the "DCS 200"..

There were MANY models of the DCS 100..
Different buffers, Mono, Color, Transmission versions (with keyboard & modem)...

Jarle
pfraser

Post by pfraser »

Webmaster:
No, the winder and the digital back are two separate pieces.
Well, it arrived today. Fortunately, the back seems to be included, and everything seems to be in good condition. I'm in the middle of a project at the moment, so it might be a day or two before I fire it up.

If anybody is interested I can report on how things go when I do.

Pete
NIKON KIU

Me,me,me.

Post by NIKON KIU »

If anybody is interested I can report on how things go when I do.
Please do, I like to see very much! :P
Kiu
Lets talk Nikon
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Post by NikonWeb »

pfraser wrote:Well, it arrived today. .. If anybody is interested I can report on how things go when I do.
Congratulations! Glad to hear that the back was also included. Feel free to start a new thread and share some details when you've had a chance to test it.

Best regards,
Jarle
nik0web

Post by nik0web »

Sorry for the delayed response.
I don't know if I do yet? What's wrong with yours?
The DSU powered up when I received it and when I later connected it to an Apple 180 laptop it hasn't powered up since, even without the laptop connected.

What I meant about the cables is that with the same connectors a cable can be wired differently. I don't really know what cable I have and what happened to the DSU. The good news is I didn't have the camera connected.

I see you received your outfit. Let us know how it goes. Again good luck.

John
Keep your mirror up!