DCS 200 on eBay 100, actuations, Original Box

Discuss older Nikon-based Kodak digital SLRs, including DCS 100, DCS 200, NC2000, DCS 400/600/700-series, etc. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
nik0web

DCS 200 on eBay 100, actuations, Original Box

Post by nik0web »

I found this listing on eBay and of course couldn't resist bidding. Not a very knowligible seller but says: "Camera has shot about 100 images."

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kodak-DCS-200ci-SLR ... dZViewItem

Any ideas what this is worth?

John
Keep your mirror up!
NIKON KIU

Post by NIKON KIU »

Any ideas what this is worth?
I see them selling around $75 to $150...but normally without the accessories or manuals. This one looks pretty complete.
Good luck,
kiu
Lets talk Nikon
nik0web

Post by nik0web »

I won that DCS 200 complete outfit. I got it for under $175 which must ba a good deal because I beat out nsxdream by only $1.50.

I also disappointed him yesterday on a DCS 460:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1[/url]

by another $1.50
Keep your mirror up!
nik0web

Post by nik0web »

OOOps

I only intended to preview the above. A slip of the finger.

Anyway I think the DCS 460 will become my old digital user camera because of the huge sensor. The sensor is bigger than any Nikon glass mountable camera except the DCS 14n. I have an old 16mm fisheye and an old 7.5mm fisheye which will, I think, be close to full frame on this camera.
Keep your mirror up!
Ross_Alford

Post by Ross_Alford »

Congratulations, John

I was following both those auctions--looks like good deals on both (fingers crossed that the 460 works).

I would definitely think the 460 will become your "user". It has spectacularly good resolution, I think 1800-2000 lines/picture height, and as long as you don't underexpose, image quality is usually great, at least when you import using the Camera Raw plugin in Photoshop. I have not been able to try the Kodak driver with this camera because it insists on a calibration file, and my camera came with one, but it is on an old Mac floppy disk and I haven't put in the work to find a computer that can read it (and it may not transport to a PC anyway).

Underexpose, though, particularly when light levels are already low, and amazing things happen. I now know what all those comments about blue channel noise are about--the blue channel just suddenly slides to the left in histograms, and big multi-pixel light spots appear. Get just the right lighting and you create an apparent snowstorm; it's that bad. I also sometimes get banding, particularly at low light levels or in darker areas of images and when the battery isn't quite fully charged. All that said, though, for 1994 technology it is truly amazing, and is capalbe of recording some really nice images.

Cheers,
Ross
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

FWIW, if you move up a notch to the 660, most of the blue channel noise issues go away. :)

Plus, you get (a) a swappable battery pack, (b) a review LCD and (c) an F5 instead of the F90x. :) :)

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer
nik0web

Post by nik0web »

Stan

I wasn't aware of the 660. I'll keep my eyes open. thanks.

John
Keep your mirror up!
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

Beyond the 660 was the 760, with even more improvements. I had a 460 and a 660, and there was quite a difference in image quality. I have yet to try a 760, but I've been sort-of shopping for one to supplement my 560 (which has the same Kodak electronics as in the 660, but uses a Canon EOS-1N body instead of the Nikon F5).

Of course, as one moves up in the model numbers, the price tag moves up as well.

All of the Kodak '60' models have the APS-H sized imager with 1.3x FLM, so that part stays the same. :)

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer
nik0web

Post by nik0web »

Hello!

I took a look on eBay and saw one for sale from Austria. I also found a 760 and at that time assume that it was a 60 series sensor, but didn't look it up. When you get into the higher priced gear you have to start thinking why not just go for the 14n/ 14c which may likely be the last word in large sensor digital cameras. At least into the forseeable future.

I need to get comfortable with the 460 for now. The camera which I bought over the weekend is here today? Tuesday! It was shipped DHL Ground?? Anyway the battery was stone dead however seems to be taking a charge even as I write.

With the old lenses I have the DCS 100 is most suitable as a match. I used an old manual 300mm f2.8 at the Gettysburg Civil War reenantment recently on a D70. The hazy sun stayed consistant so left the exposure on manual and manually focussed. I got some, to me, awesome shots including 4 or 5 with flame coming out of the canon. I picked that lens up for $200+ dollars and it shoots amazingly sharp images compared to a zoom that most are likely to use. It's heavy but I used a monopod which eased the load.

I have a lot of old glass and I think the old cameras apeal to me. I'm getting old and it's either use autofocus or a fast lens. I'm more comfortable using manual focus, however i can't picture hauling arround the DCS 100's DSU.

I spent a lot of time explaning myself. The good news is that as i get comfortable with the 460 the later camera's will get more affordable.
Keep your mirror up!