DCS 100 General Hardware

Discuss older Nikon-based Kodak digital SLRs, including DCS 100, DCS 200, NC2000, DCS 400/600/700-series, etc. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
nik0web

DCS 100 General Hardware

Post by nik0web »

I opened another DSU for a DCS 100. I mentioned here previously that I opened one that had been gutted. This one has an intermittant display. sometimes when I power it up the display brightens but shows nothing and the menu doesn't work at all. At other times it powers up OK. I reseated all the cards and we'll see over time whether that fixed it.

As I mentioned in the previous post I had problems getting that unit (k370-2155) open as the Video Out coax connector wouldn't clear the outer plastic case. This unit (K370-2829) slides out without a clearance problem.

This DSu is also different in that there's a metal seperator between the "Video Bd" and the "Serial I/O Bd" making the fifth daughter bd connector on the motherboard somewhat (I think) unusable. The seperator seems permanently attached to the bottom of the case and has springy metal fingers contacting the removable inner top cover. I found it odd that there were two metal top covers held in place by what I thought was an excess of screws. There are three pieces of metallized copper tape stuck to the inner top plate and I would guess that the non sticky side is contacting the upper top cover only which is also grounded by screws. Seems like there was a noise problem and I would guess that it was affecting the various components of the DSU?

I notice the power cable coming from the "AC Adapter" plug is taped so tightly to the Hard Drive that I got the impression it was being used to support the drive. I found it odd that the Hard Drive is mounted from the bottom requiring the complete dismantling of the DSU to replace it.

I think the CPU is on the "Compander" board. It's a C-Cube CL550 chip made by C-Cube Microsystems, which I never heard of before. The chip is soldered to the board .

The CMOS battery is soldered to the unlabeled card attached tp the "Remote Switch" connector. It's a, still available, 3.6v 3b880 QTC85 by Electrochem Commercial Power. I ordered a couple today for $11.99, plus $10.00 shipping. Hopefully that's the end of "Dead Lith"

http://www.electrochempower.com/estore/ ... Product=31

I'm getting orders from the boss, so will add more later.

John
Keep your mirror up!
pfraser

Post by pfraser »

This one has an intermittant display. sometimes when I power it up the display brightens but shows nothing and the menu doesn't work at all. At other times it powers up OK.
Which display? The flexible PC routing to the large display is quite tight, and doesn't fit very far into the display connector (it seems more solid on the display board). Removing and re-seating the flex PC in the display cured my display problems.
I think the CPU is on the "Compander" board. It's a C-Cube CL550 chip made by C-Cube Microsystems, which I never heard of before. The chip is soldered to the board .
Nah. That's just the JPEG codec chip. There's a distinct CPU board (the one with the battery).
Hopefully that's the end of "Dead Lith"
Worked for me.

Pete
nik0web

Post by nik0web »

My local Radio Shack store has 4 camcorder batteries the same as those that fit the DCS 100 (the big sealed lead acid battery) The stock # is 23-187a. The price: $47.99. The expiration date was Novermber 2006, on the one I looked at.

John
Keep your mirror up!