Motor Drive contacts on F3/DCS?

Discuss older Nikon-based Kodak digital SLRs, including DCS 100, DCS 200, NC2000, DCS 400/600/700-series, etc. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
pfraser

Motor Drive contacts on F3/DCS?

Post by pfraser »

There are seven recessed gold contacts on the bottom of the F3. Six are recessed about 0.5 mm, and the seventh is recessed about 2 mm. Is it supposed to be like that? The pin on the DCS winder has ample travel to make connection, but perhaps the "deep" contact is indicative of a problem with the camera. I thought I'd ask here before I dismantled the camera to check it out (I'm a bit of a klutz).

Thanks

Pete
nik0web

Post by nik0web »

Pete

If I'm holding the camera with the bottom facing up and the back of the camera facing me the contact at about 7:30 on a clock is recessed farther. I confirmed that on two F3 HP's. One with a digital back. The other with a film back, which it probably always had.

I guess that's good news?

I think you said the DSU had an intermittant display. I'm guessing that if the battery is totally dead, the power supply gets loaded so bad that the results are unpredictable on the entire DSU. If that's true, I'm not sure, then you may want to not have a dead battery in the unit.

The battery is the same as a hellapina of a lot of video cameras, as is the battery charger. I picked up three batteries recently on eBay for $0.99.

Good luck with the rig.

John
Keep your mirror up!
pfraser

Post by pfraser »

If I'm holding the camera with the bottom facing up and the back of the camera facing me the contact at about 7:30 on a clock is recessed farther.
Thanks for checking. That's exactly how mine is, but it looked broken.
I think you said the DSU had an intermittant display. I'm guessing that if the battery is totally dead, the power supply gets loaded so bad that the results are unpredictable on the entire DSU.
It was intermittent, but I fixed it by making sure the flexible PC was firmly inserted into the display connector. I got new batteries right away.

I can still take a shot once in a blue moon, but only immediately after I've switched on. I assume it's a thermal problem, but nothing seems to get too hot. I've checked all the DC to DC converters, but they seem OK.

Thanks for your help.

Pete
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

Re: Motor Drive contacts on F3/DCS?

Post by NikonWeb »

pfraser wrote:There are seven recessed gold contacts on the bottom of the F3. Six are recessed about 0.5 mm, and the seventh is recessed about 2 mm. Is it supposed to be like that?
Like John mentioned, this is like it should be.

Fore more info on the seven contact points, you can take a look at the info on the excellent Photography in Malaysia website:

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/ha ... d4tech.htm

Jarle
pfraser

Post by pfraser »

Fore more info on the seven contact points, you can take a look at the info on the excellent Photography in Malaysia website:
What a great article.

Thanks

Pete