Good DCS can be found other than at Ebay!

Discuss older Nikon-based Kodak digital SLRs, including DCS 100, DCS 200, NC2000, DCS 400/600/700-series, etc. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
NikkorMan

Good DCS can be found other than at Ebay!

Post by NikkorMan »

Hi all, I have bought a good working DCS620 and am in the process of acquiring a second DCS camera from a Liquidator web site.
The Liquidators beat ebay because no sniping capabilities exist. Problem is the cameras are usually sold without their accesories no batteries or chargers,which is not a bad thing if you DIY. On that subject I have seen a few folks' emails on other forums wondering where to get replacement batteries for this and other discontinued models and read emails about folks dissasembling units to get to replace internal NiMH or Lion batteries, the answer for you is leave the screwdrivers alone and power your gear via external battery packs, of course, provided the model you have accepts external power.
My DCS 620 is powerd by a Quatum unit, yes I have to set the 'date/time' each time I begin a shoot, but then again, I can shoot all day long without turning the camera off.
If anyone needs more info, send me a note.
:) [/b]
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

Re: Good DCS can be found other than at Ebay!

Post by NikonWeb »

NikkorMan wrote:The Liquidators beat ebay because no sniping capabilities exist.
Hi there and welcome on board!

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, eBay is practically the only alternative for people in many countries. Luckily, most kodak DCS models are relatively easy to find (for a fair price - even on eBay), and I expect prices to drop even further, as time goes by.

Regarding external battery packs, I believe these often cost more than replacement batteries (please correct me if I'm wrong), and they will add additional weight to your camera bag. Still, I'm sure it's a good alternative for many people, depending on use and personal preferences. Please post some more info for future reference (model numbers, etc.)

Thanks again,
Jarle
Ross_Alford

Post by Ross_Alford »

For people in the USA this is clearly an idea worth following up. Just out of curiousity (since I am usually not in the USA) I had a look for government liquidation sales using google, found several, and in less than 1/2 hour of time wasting found this:

http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/v ... vertTo=USD

which should if the link is still live show you a very complete looking original Kodak DCS outfit, including camera, winder, the big computer box, keyboard, and carrying case, and an unrelated video camera, that went for $US335

The auction had a few hours left when I spotted it, and the outfit was only $160 at the time. I read up on how the whole thing works and concluded that it's far too complicated for someone who is outside the USA, at least at short notice. Shipping is a particular problem, as far as I can tell--the sellers sell as-is, where-is, and you then need to contract a shipper to pick the item up, pack, and send it. Messy, but could be worth it, at least if you are in the USA. If you are not in the USA it may be best not to look, as it will just make you jealous :-(

Cheers,
Ross
NikonWeb
Site Admin

DCS acquisition value

Post by NikonWeb »

Ross_Alford wrote:a very complete looking original Kodak DCS outfit, including camera, winder, the big computer box, keyboard, and carrying case, and an unrelated video camera, that went for $US335
I've looked at such liquidation sales before. Plenty of DCS cameras listed, but I'm surprised you found an original DCS 100 so fast. I assume that was just a coincidence. Surely, they can't be that easy to find?

One interesting piece of information in the DCS listing: Acquisition value. This is "the original price paid by the government for the item(s) listed. This data is provided by the government and should be considered only as reference of the original purchase price for this item(s). "

The $1500 value listed is probably just a wild guess (made by someone who doesn't know better), and is nowhere near the actual cost. I'm not sure how much these cost when they were new, but the later DCS 200 sold for around $20.000.

In another listing (http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/v ... vertTo=USD) the listed acquisition value for the DCS 420 is $8950 - obviously a much more correct value.

For early DCS prices, check this thread: viewtopic.php?t=22

Jarle
nik0web

Post by nik0web »

I bid on several items in the same "event" as the DCS 100 above, and didn't know about it. The link is:

http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/v ... nId=980028

I suspect it was added at the end as I repeatedly search on Kodak, Nikon, and DCS and never knew till I read this thread that it was in this sale. The DCS is listed as new in government lingo. The code reads: New, used, repaired, or reconditioned material which is serviceable and issuable to all customers without limitation of restrictions. Includes material with more than 6 months shelf life remaining. The other item shows: Economically reparable..... In my opinion you need to look at the first descriptive and ignor the rest. I've purchase stuf that had an " "A code and sold it on eBay asnew with a positive feedback. When it says new it's new. But that's rare. I recently bought a DCS 420 and the picture showed the original box. When I got it the camera was a DCS 420c and the box was for a DCS 420 IR which I have. But the code didn't say new and it wasn't, but minty.

The values listed are of three types. The original purchase price, $1, or a guess of the current market value. In this case I'd guess $1500 is an accurate estimate for a new DCS 100.

As far as the shipping issue, I've never had a problem except that it's expensive. I use UPS store which many locations have listed. They charge $25.00 for the pickup and add the usual UPS charge for the actual shipping. They'll insure it for the purchase amount which they know as you have to fax the invoice and authorization for pickup which is a government/Govliquidation form. If there's no UPS I pick out an individual as the other companies get too expensive. As far as the trust issue, They have to get on the list and want to stay there so I've never had a problem

In this case, someone got a bargain.....no a steal!
Keep your mirror up!
NikkorMan

Gov liquidation sites in the US

Post by NikkorMan »

Ross and everybody; you hit the nail squarely. It seems good old Uncle SAM stocked up well with DCS/Nikon and other brands such as Cannon photo gear which is now obsolete to their standards, lucky us in the US! One thing is that this site unlike ebay is not tax free, uncle sam needs to be paid. Yet, I've actually picked up a lot of gear from the site, not possible for me otherwise even on ebay on my retirement. For example, I recently picked up a lot of about 15 high quality Nikkors for about $800(US) including both two 24-50 mm,an 80-200 f2.8 Autofocus lens and a 135mm F2 50mm 1.4 35mm f2 and other AI lenses. I also picked up on a separete auction a 500mm F5 Nikkor (very rare) for $300 including tax and shipping. The shipping is not generally a problem since within the auction site a link to a list of shippers, including some international ones, are provided, the most familiar names are generally there such as UPS and FEDEX. I strongly suspect a lot of this gear winds up in ebay from phot entrpenuers be wary since some of the x-mil gear is / has been field used and does not include all expected accessories such as battery chargers, filters, etc. Example I purchased a 60mm f.28 macro autofocus for about $150 plus an additional $30 in shipping but the chip in the lens was erratic and the repair cost me an additonal $130 total cost $310 which is still a bit less than new but average for used.; and my 135mm f2 has scratches on the rear element but so far I see no image degradation from them! pot luck I guess.
So, if you can use the site go for it else you'll have to wait till the gear filter to ebay at a higher price. Enjoy the week end! :D
Nikkorman
precertvideo

Post by precertvideo »

Hi,
Just bought another DCS-420c (had a 410 a year ago but couldn't get it to work-regretted selling it!) on ebay for £80 inc. 170Mb HDD-no charger, but at least it works...

I have seen them sell for as little as £50.

Was surfing and saw one advertised as body only for £745 (about $1260)! (http://nicholascamera.com/list.cfm?man_ ... oduct_id=1)

Currently trying to connect via SCSI to check/update firmware as cant seem to use CF cards...Not end of the world as the HDD will fit in my laptop.

Cheers