Infrared DCS 460 sold for $839.74!

Discuss older Nikon-based Kodak digital SLRs, including DCS 100, DCS 200, NC2000, DCS 400/600/700-series, etc. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

Infrared DCS 460 sold for $839.74!

Post by NikonWeb »

Yesterday, a DCS 460CIR was sold on eBay. I planned to bid $250, or so, and thought I had a fair chance. Silly me. The camera sold for $839.74!

(The high bidder had zero feedback and had registered after the auction started, but there were plenty of other bidders willing to pay almost as much.)

Here's part of the description:

"Not functioning in its present condition! Battery has no power! Missing all supplied accessories! NO AC adapter/Battery Charger. NO PCMCIA Memory card, NO Software and NO cables.) AS IS - I have no way of testing this to determine its operating status!"

The camera probably just needs a charge or a new battery, but you can't know for sure. Imagine paying more than $800 for a broken camera. No thanks.

Earlier in the day, a nice-looking, regular DCS 460 sold for $217 (20 bids), incl. charger.

Jarle
Ross_Alford

Post by Ross_Alford »

Amazing price, for sure. I am going to keep that one on my watch list for a while and see if the winner ends up being a nonpayer.

Another one has been listed with DCS 460 CIR in the title, and a description, clearly copied from the web somewhere, of a 460 CIR, but the camera in the photos has a label that just says DCS 460. Anyone know whether it could be a CIR, or is the seller misstating what he has on offer? The camera that went for $839 clearly said "460 CIR" on the front.
Last edited by Ross_Alford on Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NikonWeb
Site Admin

DCS label

Post by NikonWeb »

Ross_Alford wrote:the camera in the photos has a label that just says DCS 460.
I noticed the same thing. I'll ask for a photo of the label on the bottom plate, incl. the serial number.

UPDATE: It's a regular 460 (color). The auction description has been updated.

Jarle
nik0web

Post by nik0web »

I had a bid in on the second one. The seller contacted me and warned me of the mistake. I suggested that he end the listing and relist. He did relist it. I shouldn't have suggested that he end the item as I was likely to get a 460 cheap, but I'd have to live with myself.
Keep your mirror up!
nik0web

Post by nik0web »

Ross

Is that you he has a link to in the listing. He definitely has a link to my feedback thanking us for our help getting his listing straightened out.. His user name ends in nsx !?

John
Keep your mirror up!
Ross_Alford

Post by Ross_Alford »

Yes, it's me. I emailed him asking if he was certain it was a CIR model, and if so, how, and pointing out that the CIR and normal models are different. It was obviously a genuine error on his part, and he sent me a very nice email as well as putting that link in the listing.

Cheers,
Ross
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Re: Infrared DCS 460 sold for $839.74!

Post by NikonWeb »

Another one (same model, same seller) sold for US $460.00. Item 110038422413.

Seems to drop $380 each time. A few more and we can all get one for free :-)

Jarle