DCS 420c card problem (was: New member)

Discuss older Nikon-based Kodak digital SLRs, including DCS 100, DCS 200, NC2000, DCS 400/600/700-series, etc. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
Paul

DCS 420c card problem (was: New member)

Post by Paul »

I am new
I just bought a 420c on ebay and am experiencing frustration.
So far I have not be able to establish a link with my mac. The computer doesn't recognize the camera, but because the camera reacts to the computer starting up and I can take a pictures, almost every time I boot up, I think it is a software conflict.
So far I have not be able to locate a ata flash or cf card that works on the camera. I've tried a kodak cf and a Nikon lexar cf, both give me an e7.
I have also tried a Simple tech and a San disk ata flash card, they do the same thing.
I am sure this topic has been covered a hundred times, but has anyone else had this problem? I don't want to end up buying a hundred cards before one works.
If anyone lives near Riverside California and can upgrade my frim ware for me, please email
I'll post again if I make any progress. me.
Ross_Alford

Post by Ross_Alford »

Can't say much about the Mac interfacing problem. On PCs, most DCS software and interfacing seems to work best on older machines. I have only been able to talk to my DSC200 using an old laptop with Windows 95; even a somewhat newer desktop with Win 98 does not seem to be willing.

Also cannot help much with flash cards, but can offer some encouragement. Keep trying, and try various combinations. I have lots of old CF cards and several CF --> PCMCIA adapters. Only 1 of the CF-->PCMCIA adapters works consistently with DCS410, 420, and 460; that one is labeled RIDATA; however I have another with the same label that does not work. Only a very few CF cards work in the adapter that works, including a RIDATA 64 Mb one and a throroughly off-brand 128 Mb one, several smaller capacity 8 and 16 Mb ones do not work, and larger-capacity ones do not, either, at least non consistently. I have one 260 MB PCMCIA hard drive that came with one of the Kodaks; that works in some of them, but sometimes refuses to work. I also have a couple of old PCMCIA flash cards; those do not work in the Kodaks.

One thing to watch for is battery level. it at least seems to me that the DCS cameras are more prone to fail to recognize cards when their batteries are not fully charged and in good condition. Even if they are plugged in, it seems to help if the battery is good and fully charged; maybe some initial surge of power is needed somewhere (certainly true for the mini-hard disk anyway).

Maybe impose on anyone you know who might have CF cards, PCMCIA cards, adapters, etc, and just keep trying lots of combinations. You will probably eventually find one or more that work. It would be nice to know whether anyone here has ever figured out what the cause of all this quirkiness is.

Cheers,
Ross
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

DCS card problem

Post by NikonWeb »

The e7 indicates a defective (i.e. non-working) card. You'll simply have to try different cards until you find one that works.

Here's another forum post that may help: viewtopic.php?t=280

Good luck!

Jarle
Paul

Post by Paul »

Thanks
I borrowed a friend's lap top to make sure the AtA flash cards were not defective. The Simple tech 800mg works perfect, but its an 800mg and I know anything over 512 doesn't seem to work, however I have heard a few people have had luck, but they probably have newer firm ware.
I tired my Sandisk 48mg, it shows up as being plug into the slot, but does not show up as a drive. I am pretty sure that's my problem, the card is defective. I am now fighting with the person on eBay I bought it from. He say he Fat Formated it and tested it before he sent it to me, and it has to be my driver, however the simple tech uses the same drive. I just emailed him and told him that.
I tired my CF card with the adapter, and it show up on the laptop without a problem, but again my firm ware has not be updated. I am going to try another card and then try to find a scsi card for my pc.
Paul

Post by Paul »

I found out that some ATA Flash cards use different drivers on a PC lap top.
For example the Simple tech uses a Standard IDE/EDDI Hard disk controller while the snadisk uses a sandisk ATA flashdisk. This may be why some cards work and other's don't
It would be great if everyone using an ata flash card on their DCS /410/420/460 would list what driver it uses in their lap top. This might lead to an understanding of what cards work and what card don't. I suspect latter firmware for the cameras contained more drivers, allowing more variety of cards to work.

Any one have any thoughts on this?