Best way to read a DCS 420 file.

Discuss older Nikon-based Kodak digital SLRs, including DCS 100, DCS 200, NC2000, DCS 400/600/700-series, etc. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
Thomas998

Best way to read a DCS 420 file.

Post by Thomas998 »

I've been playing around with 420c and 420ir... my only problem is opening the files. Thus far the only only software I have that seems to remotely work on them is photoshop CS... which is a problem since I only have CS on an old backup computer... my main computer is running CS3 and it doesn't seem to like the Kodak files.

Anyone have any suggestions on the best way to do it... While the CS seems to work well with the 420ir files it gives me very jacked up results from the 420c... I don't know if the CS just can't do it properly or I have a bad sensor because the color shift is pretty extreme.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

Kodak Photo Desk

Post by NikonWeb »

Have you tried Kodak Photo Desk? Free software, available for both Mac and Windows:

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professi ... Main.jhtml

Alternatively, you can download the DCS file format module:

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professi ... 6.11&lc=en

Features in V4.2

ADOBE PHOTOSHOP file format plug-in
Open Kodak Professional DCS Proprietary RAW TIFF and DCS format images
Apply all saved process parameters
Optionally open images in 8-bit or 16-bit mode
Optionally open images in linear mode
Optionally control automatic SBA for unedited raw images

Good luck!

Jarle
Thomas998

Re: Kodak Photo Desk

Post by Thomas998 »

Webmaster wrote:Have you tried Kodak Photo Desk?
I had heard about photo desk... unfortunately Kodak has moved on to version 4.3... V4.3 does not support the DCS 4XX cameras. when I try to open a tiff file I get a unsuported message.

Does anyone now where I can get V4.2?
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Post by NikonWeb »

Thomas998 wrote:I had heard about photo desk... unfortunately Kodak has moved on to version 4.3... V4.3 does not support the DCS 4XX cameras. when I try to open a tiff file I get a unsuported message.
Ok.. Don't know where you can get 4.2, but the Photoshop plugin (DCS file format module) should still work.

Thumbs Plus (www.cerious.com) will also open/convert Kodak DSC files, but apparently you'll need to download the DCS support files separately.

Jarle
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Post by NikonWeb »

Webmaster wrote:Ok.. Don't know where you can get 4.2, but the Photoshop plugin (DCS file format module) should still work.
Seems like the DCS file format module doesn't work with Photoshop CS3. Just tried - no success.

If I can find some spare time I may put together a small program to convert DCS TIFF files, using Kodak's own file support library.

Jarle
Thomas998

Post by Thomas998 »

Webmaster wrote:Seems like the DCS file format module doesn't work with Photoshop CS3.
Thanks for verifying what I thought was happening... I tried using that plug in every way possible but had no luck. I guess for now I'll just be at the mercy of the old computer running CS... hopefully the old computer doesn't die or I'll be in a world of hurt.
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Post by NikonWeb »

Thomas998 wrote:I guess for now I'll just be at the mercy of the old computer running CS... hopefully the old computer doesn't die or I'll be in a world of hurt.
If you're a Windows user you'll be happy to read this:

viewtopic.php?t=327

Jarle