I think my sensor is bad. (Reply: 420c color cast explained)

Discuss older Nikon-based Kodak digital SLRs, including DCS 100, DCS 200, NC2000, DCS 400/600/700-series, etc. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
Thomas998

I think my sensor is bad. (Reply: 420c color cast explained)

Post by Thomas998 »

I'm seeing a strange purple cast vignetting on the images taken on a 420c... is this normal or is this the sign that the sensor is losing it.
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

Re: I think my sensor is bad.

Post by NikonWeb »

Thomas998 wrote:I'm seeing a strange purple cast vignetting on the images taken on a 420c... is this normal or is this the sign that the sensor is losing it.
I'm afraid it's normal. These early models were oversensitive to infrared wavelengths, typically causing a strong magenta (i.e red/purple) color cast.

This is described as the "sunburned lobster" effect in this article at robgalbraith.com: http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_ ... -7191-7457

You can reduce the color cast by using a "hot mirror filter" on your lens.

Hope this helps.

Jarle
Thomas998

Re: I think my sensor is bad.

Post by Thomas998 »

Webmaster wrote:
Thomas998 wrote:I'm seeing a strange purple cast vignetting on the images taken on a 420c... is this normal or is this the sign that the sensor is losing it.
I'm afraid it's normal. These early models were oversensitive to infrared wavelengths, typically causing a strong magenta (i.e red/purple) color cast.

This is described as the "sunburned lobster" effect in this article at robgalbraith.com: http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_ ... -7191-7457

You can reduce the color cast by using a "hot mirror filter" on your lens.

Hope this helps.

Jarle
Thanks... I'm glad to know its "normal"... I was afraid after years of scrounging for a charger, that after I finally got it the camera was broken. At least now I know its just the way they are.