My new DCS 14n

Discuss older Nikon-based Kodak digital SLRs, including DCS 100, DCS 200, NC2000, DCS 400/600/700-series, etc. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
Ross_Alford

My new DCS 14n

Post by Ross_Alford »

I've been looking for a 14n, 14ns or SLR/n for a reasonable price for ages, mostly because I wanted to play with my Sigma 12-24 full-frame zoom (bought in 2004 to use with a D70) on a full-frame camera.

Just today, was delivered a 14n, bought on eBay Australia for $A83. Was advertised as in rough shape, with the multi-direction button taped down, connector for external trigger pushed in, grip taped on, but correspondence with the vendor said it was working, and it came with a charged battery.

It works! The pushed-in connector was easily pulled out and re-secured using the little set screw that holds it in place. I am a bit worried about the multi-selector, but it works at present, and what spectacular results at 12mm! At ISO up to 200, noise is not particularly objectionable, and Lightroom 2.5 does a very nice job on the DCR files. After I get a spare battery and charger from Hong Kong, I'll do some serious picture taking and put a pointer to results here. Anyone here have experience with the multi-seleector on these cameras? Is it difficult to fix properly? I'm hesitant to mess with it, for fear of making it stop working altogether.

Cheers,
Ross
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

Re: My new DCS 14n

Post by NikonWeb »

Congratulations! Sounds like fun. Great price too.

You could ask Kodak professional support about the multi selector. These guys are usually surprisingly helpful: kprodigital@kodak.com

Good luck!

Jarle
gsandberg
antispam: No

Post by gsandberg »

Ross,
I would try and compare the multi-selector to the F80 camera the digi-slr was based on.
If it is the same as the F80 camera, there may be some parts in your local Nikon bin.
Regards, Gilbert
Ross_Alford

Post by Ross_Alford »

I emailed Kodak Professional as suggested by Jarle, and amazingly to me received a nice personal reply the next day. Apparently the part is available from Nikon, but what has probably happened is that the end of the plastic post in the centre of the button has broken off, and doing the repair properly will require disassembling the back of the camera. I may put up with the tape, as I hate disassembling things. I was hoping maybe the replacement would just press on, like many computer keyboards.