NASA DCS 460 on eBay

Discuss older Nikon-based Kodak digital SLRs, including DCS 100, DCS 200, NC2000, DCS 400/600/700-series, etc. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

NASA DCS 460 on eBay

Post by NikonWeb »

Starting at $500, item 260559001951

Description:

"KODAK/NIKON DCS 460 DIGITAL COLOR NASA CAMERA. This 18 megabyte digital camera was purchased last year from NASA, Johnson Space Center during a GSA auction. It is remarkably clean and appears to not ever have been used. The attached sticker notes: "MFG SER: 5004, COST: $24.525.00". A bright red sticker on the camera body reads: "CLASS III NOT FOR FLIGHT" The presence of velcro strips on the camera body and body lens cap opening suggests this was designed for a zero gravity environment. This camera is being auctioned without a lens, PCMCIA, ATA Type 3 card, instruction material and batteries. The camera is powered by AA rechargeable batteries with access to the camera body battery storage area with removal of components.

This remarkable camera was purchased by NASA after the Nikon F4 to provide immediate download of images to ground stations. This camera among others was used by John Glenn on his return to space following an illustrious career in the US Senate. The camera he used was presented by Kodak to the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum with hopes that it will one day be used in Ohio at a special museum being developed in his honor and displaying cameras used in space. Many references are available on Google discussing this camera. Two of the best are: http://mir.com.my/rb/photography/compan ... index.html and http://women-and-dreams.blogspot.com. 2009/05. kodak-dcs-460. html

All original labels present when I received this camera are still attached. In image 7 I have carefully placed a dime next to the image sensor for scale."

Jarle
NIKON KIU

Woo Hoo

Post by NIKON KIU »

Looke at that price tag:

Kiu :twisted:
Lets talk Nikon
Stan Disbrow

Re: NASA DCS 460 on eBay

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

Oh, yes. I recall those price tags. back in 1999, when I was first shopping for a DSLR, the Kodak 660c was new and - $25k. The 620 was $10k. And, the D1 was not quite out yet. This is, of course, why when the D1 did hit the scene at $5k, it caused such a stir! Look at the value of that original D1. Even with the early warts, it was the best thing since sliced bread - or a Kodak DCS, anyway! ;)

I decided to stick with film a bit longer. I was tickled pink when, once the D1 had come out, to pick up that E2 for $750 from a pro that had upgraded. Even so, he told me he'd paid $10k for the E2 just a few short years before.

How soon we forget what bleeding edge technology costs the 'pioneers' that go for it.....

later!

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer