Card/flash issues with DCS 760

Discuss older Nikon-based Kodak digital SLRs, including DCS 100, DCS 200, NC2000, DCS 400/600/700-series, etc. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
spacespeed
antispam: No

Card/flash issues with DCS 760

Post by spacespeed »

Hi,

I picked up a Kodak DCS 760 a few months ago, and have been trying to get it to work with a 2GB Sandisk SD card, through a PNY PCMCIA adapter. It worked, although not consistently (I would get card write issues occasionally, and if the battery was at the halfway point according to the battery meter, the camera would occasionally take pictures but not record anything until I took out the card and placed it back in again). Recently, however, the camera somehow managed to write two files with the exact same filename to the same folder on the card, without overwriting. Meaning, when I placed the card in my USB SD reader on my computer, I saw two files in one folder with the same name.

The camera would no longer recognize this card as valid ("Unrecognized card type"), so I moved the files to my computer and reformatted the card in FAT16. It still wouldn't recognize the card. Tried overwriting about the first 300MBs of the card with 0s using dd, which should have wiped out the partition table (requiring the card to be reinitialized), then repartitioned and reformatted the card. Still wouldn't work. Tried to low-level format the card (whatever that means for an SD card -- apparently it's not completely possible due to how flash memory is addressed?), then reformat - didn't work as well. Does anyone have any kind of solution to this issue (other than getting a compactflash adapter and card - which I'm not very much inclined to do at this time)

Oh, and does anyone know if off-brand flashes work on the 760? (On the FAQ, the answer's no, but it's hard to imagine why). I have a Promaster FTD5700 which works completely fine on my film Nikon N70, but wouldn't even fire (or be detected) on the 760. I just ordered a cheap SB-10 to see if the problem is with non-Nikon flashes, but then it could be that the hotshoe is just broken...
Paul

Re: Card/flash issues with DCS 760

Post by Paul »

Maybe you should try a 1gb card or smaller and see what happens.
spacespeed
antispam: No

Post by spacespeed »

Apparently it's more battery-related. Just fully charged the battery today (and nearly fried it - but that's another story altogether), placed it into the camera, and the card worked again. I'm starting to suspect that the SD card adapter + card somehow requires more power than the normal compactflash cards, and so it causes strange issues when the camera underpowers the adapter...
30Cal

Post by 30Cal »

I had flakey issues with a Dcs420 and a CF adapter when the battery started going bad.