Card/Power issues with my DCS 760

Discuss older Nikon-based Kodak digital SLRs, including DCS 100, DCS 200, NC2000, DCS 400/600/700-series, etc. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
Ando
antispam: No

Card/Power issues with my DCS 760

Post by Ando »

Hi everybody from Vienna :)

Purchased yesterday a mint DCS 760 set, complete with all acessoires boxed. Unfortunately the camera has issues saving files on CF/microdrive. Pictures are underexposed, metadata indicate wrong ISO, mode is indicated as "??", exposure override shows corrections which I have never done. Error messages, frozen display, "CF full" etc. This morning - surprisingly - everything ran smoothly but I have no idea why. Happiness ended when I removed the battery for charging and formatted the 8 GB Sandisk Extreme which worked today without any problems. For power supply while formatting I used the AC adapter only.

Any ideas what could be the reason for this strange behavior and how to fix it?

Thank you,

Andreas
Ando

Re: Card/Power issues with my DCS 760

Post by Ando »

Seems to me that the issues go together with a weak battery. As soon as recharged the cam works flawlessly. I will investigate this. Odd that the symbol on the rear display shows a fully charged battery even it seems not to be so. Anyway an exhausted battery can be easily replaced :)
Ando

Post by Ando »

The story goes on ...

Have conditioned the battery and fully charged including the recommended +2 hours as soon as the green LED had lighted up on the charger. The first shots were fine but then again mad EXIF data on the cams display like EV +11, ISO 6400, ?? etc. I switched off the camera, after some minutes I tried again and the next four shots I made were ok.

To me that seems to be an issue with the battery which does not provide stable voltage allthough fully charged. Battery symbol on the display shows "full".

How can I verify that the battery definitely has reached its end of life?

And if its not the battery what else could cause that strange behavior? Maybe some internal electronic parts which start to malfunction as soon as the internal temperature of the cam rises? (I am a layperson regarding electronics :wink:
Ando

Post by Ando »

CL and CH do not work allthough the cam should buffer shots.

No more ideas to fix this :x
Ando

Post by Ando »

Should the 760 also run only provided by the AC adapter but with no battery inserted? I tested this to narrow down the issues but no success.

How long should it take to charge a Ni-MH battery which is in good condition? I conditioned mine and after about 40 minutes the green LED on the charger lighted up. Seems to be too short?

I am so frustrated about all this that I just have ordered a second set at ebay. Hopefully this will work hassle-free :(