Kodak DCS 100 sales on Ebay.com now. Be careful to bid

Discuss older Nikon-based Kodak digital SLRs, including DCS 100, DCS 200, NC2000, DCS 400/600/700-series, etc. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
vqscorpions
antispam: No

Kodak DCS 100 sales on Ebay.com now. Be careful to bid

Post by vqscorpions »

While I really love to have one of this set, this week i found something a bit strange on Ebay.com

1. One of the Ebayer tried to sell the DCS 100 set with full acc. Although he only posted 1 photo of the main box, he promised to provide more photos by private work email.

I did email him, the guy got the name was: Paul John Lory (quite strange because I haven't seen any one with Paul and John in one name like this).

This guy got only 1 buyer feedback via Ebay and he registered on Ebay from early 2013. The location of this guy was Massachusetts

I emailed him and got reply in 12h with an email and a bunch of photos. Well, look very nice. He asked me $9,000 shipped out of Ebay. Thanks God.

And the bidding on the ad was increased a bit more than $300.

Still feel not confident much to bid because there is no phone, no name to contact by the way.

2. However, on the same day i received photos from the guy above - which was 27/10/2014, I found one guy with zero feedback, and just registered on Ebay from 24/10/2014 and location is in Texas, he posted very exactly the same ad's content, and 100% the same ALL PHOTOS that I got from the guy Paul John Lory above. Nothing more, nothing less. Exact the same.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kodak-DCS-100-D ... 2a466d8c79

I noticed those 2 guys kept the ads on Ebay.com for 2 days until 29/10/2014 - today and one ad disappeared, the one belongs to Paul John Lory.

Although the 2nd guy is trying to put one phone number in the ad to be contacted, and he setup $2900 (quite reasonable price) BUY IT NOW if need, and also he does not want to sell out of Ebay, I still feel something not really right happened with those 2 guys.

Just quick infor for anyone is bidding on those ads, be careful and smart yourself.

I am no interested in contacting / bidding with those 2 guys again / anymore.
James
-------
Love IR photography. Love Kodak DCS
Stan Disbrow

Re: Kodak DCS 100 sales on Ebay.com now. Be careful to bid

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

Yeah. Ebay. No or low feedback coupled with anything collectible, read Big Bux, equals Scam. No. Make the SCAM. ;)

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer
nik0web

Post by nik0web »

These "photos" were for sale at $15,000 US in listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kodak-DCS-100-D ... 0816874871

That seller was from Israel and has good feedback numbers. That listing was ended by the seller on October 19. It's possible it was shipped from there to the new seller.

The $15k seller has been notified that his pix are for sale

I can't find the interim listing you mention, If a listing is removed by the venue you won't find it on the site.
Keep your mirror up!
vqscorpions

Post by vqscorpions »

Yeah, I am positive that the guy Paul John Lory was scammer. He removed the ad and may appear again in the future.

About the guy is selling on Ebay on above link, I see no point to claim he is a genuine seller in this case because:

1. He just registered on 24/10/2014 without any history.

2. He just posted the items for sale on 27/10/2014

3. See the original listing was ended from 19/10/2014 by Israel owner.

Even if the current USA guy is the new owner of the items, and even if he bought the set from the genuine owner from Israel, and even if the owner from Israel shipped crazy quick and just get into the US on 27/10/2014 by quick DHL or FEDEX (that does not mention the delay by USA Custom because this normally take about 2-3 days if the value is about some $k like this).

Then.

3.1. What is the point to state BUY IT NOW for $2900 in the new listing? Surely the Israel owner knew his items' value and he kept price of $15000 asking for a very long time. No point he would sell for less than half of that price. So there is no way that the USA guy could get that kit for less than $7500 from Israel I reckon. I tried to contact Israel quite long time before and he even asked me around $10k at least.

Then surely the USA guy must pay import tax because the Israel guy is not silly to declare value of that box less than $1000 to risk his money. So end up the USA guy IF could get that kit into USA he must pay around $9000 for that set alone IF he could get $7500 deal from Israel.

3.2. So for the USA guy, it is very stupid to advertise ASAP on Ebay without any delay for just $2900 asking. Standing from either collector point or business seller point, I see no brain to do so. Unless he is one of the craziest guy on the Earth whom is not a collector nor a seller.

Therefore, I can also confirm very positively that the guy on Ebay from USA now is another big scammer.
James
-------
gsandberg

Post by gsandberg »

James,
I agree with your (buisness) arguments, but I would leave any concusion to the reader.
Regards Gilbert
nik0web

Post by nik0web »

I contacted the original owner of the pictures yesterday. He answered me back and said that he reported the two listings involved. Well, actually we both did. The listings are gone and I assume the userid is toast.

I checked for closed listings and the listing is forever gone from "the venue", as it does when the venue removes a listing for scams and I also believe for using anothers pictures. It's important to realize that when something like this happens it takes two reports before " the venue" pays attention to the reports.

It only takes these guys a few moments to create a new user id so we may/probably will see the listing again
Keep your mirror up!
vqscorpions

Post by vqscorpions »

im very glad you bros take actions quickly. It is good to make a clear and safe environment for collectors.
James
-------
Whirled One

Post by Whirled One »

I have to second vqscorpions's sentiment in thanks to folks here for keeping an eye out on things like this. I was watching that item as well, though I too was a bit skeptical about it, and noticed today that it had mysteriously disappeared from my watch list. Like nik0web, I searched completed items, and it was indeed missing from there too-- like nik0web said, that's a very fishy sign.

I guess it was fortunate for me that I wasn't really planning to bid on it (thus I didn't investigate the listing as did others here); I just wanted to see what it ended up fetching. :)
vqscorpions

Post by vqscorpions »

@Whirled One: I am just a new fan of Kodak DCS, so I just want to do the best that I think it is good for you and for me. Great that many others in this forum have been doing the same thing.
James
-------