Nikon E-series model variants

Discuss Nikon E2, E3 (incl. Fujix DS-505, 515 and 56x models), the original Nikon D1 and other discontinued Nikon DSLRs. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
Stan Disbrow

Nikon E-series model variants

Post by Stan Disbrow »

hi,

OK, first off a warning. I'm using my 'wetware' here, and not some magical reference document. So, I might miss something, but, then, this is a forum, and we can set things straight in case I do mess it up. :)

I'll refer to the Nikon model numbers and put the Fuji ones in parens, just so no one has to go to my other thread where I list them out in the event someone has a Fuji version in their hand. :)

The E2 (DS-505) was the first model. It shot at 1 fps, more or less. That's 'more or less' because it had zero buffer and the frame rate would vary by memory card used.

The E2s (DS-505a) was out alongside the E2. The 's' means 'speed', I think. It had a 12-shot buffer and, as I recall (remember the 'wetware' warning?) could do 3 fps in Jpeg mode.

Now, these E-series bodies used a 'Reduction Optical System' in the body. Think of it as a reverse teleconverter, since it's easy to understand what it does if you think of it that way. It acts to shrink the exit pupil of the master lens (meaning the lens from the 35mm film system) down to the 2/3" CCD imager that was originally intended for use in a professional camcorder.

Well, the ROS meant that there would be some loss of effective aperture, just like what happens with the common TC's. In this case, it lost quite a bit. As in your f2.8 master lens would now become an f6.3 lens, which wasn't as good a thing as one might have hoped for with the ROS scheme.

However, the condensation of light meant that the sensitivity of the imager was raised. That accounts for the ISO 800 and 3200 speed settings on the E2.

There was some further development that occured, though, and the effective aperture was improved to f5.6 for the next iteration of the E-series. I think ('wetware' again) that there was a third ISO speed added at the same time, but perhaps that didn't occur until the E3. Hmmm. Danged old 'wetware'! ;)

Anyway, the improved ROS is what made the E2N (DS-515) and E2Ns (DS-515a). Note that the E2N had zero buffer, like the E2, and the E2Ns had a 12-shot buffer, like the E2s.

Now, these cameras are pretty large and unwieldy. To my eye, I see them as being meant for a studio camera all along. Howver, the E2 and E2N are missing a way to attach the camera to a computer, which is something that would be very useful in a studio environment.

Enter the E3 (DS-565) and E3s (DS-565a). They have SCSI adapters added to the bottom (making the thing somewhat larger still), so they can be attached to a computer. As far as I can recall (see that 'wetware' warning again), there was no other significant difference between the E2N and the E3 other than the SCSI adapter.

Oh, and I don't think I need to explain what was different between the E3 and E3s, right? ;)

WEBMASTER EDIT (September 2006): To avoid any confusion, take a look at this later thread for a final, complete and accurate list of model variants: viewtopic.php?t=9

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

Re: Nikon E-series model variants

Post by NikonWeb »

I'll soon get a Fujix 565 (bought on eBay for $235), to keep my Nikon E2N company :)

I hope to post a small review/overview within a few weeks.

For more info on these early digital models (and most other Nikon equipment) I highly recommend the Photography in Malaysia website.

Jarle