Nikon QV-1000C Still Video Camera

Discuss Nikon E2, E3 (incl. Fujix DS-505, 515 and 56x models), the original Nikon D1 and other discontinued Nikon DSLRs. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

Nikon QV-1000C Still Video Camera

Post by NikonWeb »

This very first 'electronic' 380.000 pixel Nikon was announced in 1998:

http://nikonimaging.com/global/products ... /index.htm

According to one source, Nikon only sold about 100 such cameras. It would be interesting to hear from someone that have actually seen and used one of these.

If you happen to have one, please let me know. If you prefer, you may contact me directly by clicking on the email button below.

Thanks,
Jarle
Stan Disbrow

I've actually shot with one

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

Firstly, I wish you luck finding one. I have only seen one once, and that was around 1990.

Secondly, I go to road races a lot, and when I'm not participating (driving, crewing, flagging, etc), I like to shoot. Way back when, I saw a guy shooting with this little SLR. When I took a closer look, I saw it was Nikon, but not like anything I had ever used (F2, F3, FE, FA, etc).

I asked him what it was, and he showed me that it was a small, electronic, SLR (didn't call 'em 'digital' back then). He had bought it on the used market from some newpaper. It had these two zoom lenses that went with it, and it seemed like a decent enough rig. He let me take a couple shots with it, and it didn't seem bad at all - especially the wild zoom range the two lenses offered!

Of course, this was the QV-1000, although I didn't make note of the model number at the time. I've since seen it documented in one of my Nikon system reference books, and it is the same little camera he had that day.

I had forgotten all about the thing until I started thinking about getting a DSLR back in 1999. I went looking for one then, and that's when I tripped across the newer 'big brother' E2. Since the E2 took my old AI and AIS lenses, I bought that and quit looking for a QV-1000.

Again, I wish you luck finding one. :)

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer
nikonnl

Post by nikonnl »

Ask Peter Lownds in Rotterdam; he has a camera in his private Nikon museum. I'm not sure if he has ever used it.
nico
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Thanks

Post by NikonWeb »

Thanks for the tip, Nico. I'll ask him.

I don't really expect to find one of these (for sale, anyway) but I could get lucky. I know for sure I'll never find one unless I ask for it :)

Jarle
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Canon Still Video Camera

Post by NikonWeb »

Forgot to mention that I've actually handled Canon's Still Video Camera, around 1986 (I think):

http://www.canon.com/about/history/episode08b.html

I still have a small print from the camera. It was great at the time, not so good today :o

Jarle
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

Cool! I didn't know that Canon also made one of these things. Of course, I shouldn't be surprised. Nikon and Canon seem to always make the same things as each other. They're true competetors in that respect! :)

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer