NIKON E2N FOR SALE ON E BAY

Discuss Nikon E2, E3 (incl. Fujix DS-505, 515 and 56x models), the original Nikon D1 and other discontinued Nikon DSLRs. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

Fujix PCMCIA card reader

Post by NikonWeb »

Here's another piece of needless equipment :) - an original Fujix CR-500 SCSI PCMCIA card reader:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WDVW

For $39.95 someone may want to get it (not me). Looks identical to the Nikon ED-10 reader that came with my E2N.

There's a photo and some more details at http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/co ... LRs/E2E2s/

Jarle
Brian Sweeney

Post by Brian Sweeney »

The DS-505a got a bid from a long-time collector. It looks like Jarle's site has convinced the "old-time" Nikon collectors that these early Digitals are the "thing"!

Glad I got my E3!
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

Yes, Jarle has a way of convincing us that these things are now collectable. All along, I just saw my poor old E2 as, well, a poor old E2! :P

I used the E2 because I had found a decent job for it to do. Heck, I had paid good money for it, and so I figured that I should get some use out of it. Now, I see it as being a little more than that. Perhaps not quite a collector's item, but maybe more of a 'soon to be a collector's item'.

Now I have to find myself a D1 as well, while the prices are down in the 'poor old camera' range. If I wait too long, they will also become collectable, and the prices will go back up. The only real question is do I go for an original D1 or the later D1H. As with the E2, I'd like to get some use out of my 'collector's items' and the D1H is quite a bit better than the D1 when it comes to using the thing. I know that a true collector would have to have one of everything made, but I don't quite fit into that category. :)

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer
Brian Sweeney

D1 vs D1h and D1x

Post by Brian Sweeney »

I have two D1x's at work and bought them when they first came out. Last month I bought a Mint in Box D1 for home for $600, with 2 batteries and charger. Honestly, once you get the "Custom Settings" where you like it, there is not much difference in actual use. I set the "C"ontinuous mode to 1FPS repeat so I could use the buffer BUT not get multiple shots. On Single-Shot you have to wait for the buffer to flush to CF. In "C" mode it fires as fast as I press the button, and at 1FPS when held down. The Buffer holds ~10 shots in RAW mode. The D1 seems to go for about ~30% less than the D1H.

Nikon D1: Raw Mode "Jpeg'd" in photoshop.
http://www.dslrexchange.com/dslrxphotop ... 500/page/1

BTW: I have not noticed a "magenta" issue with mine and I do NOT use a Hot Mirror filter with it. I do use them with the IR camera when I want visible.
NIKON KIU

Old timer

Post by NIKON KIU »

I guess we should let the old timer defect to our side!!!! :lol:
Kiu
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

Old timer? You mean me? Sigh. I hope not, although I suppose that *does* sort of fit. That's the problem with getting started in photography at age 12 (and in the darkroom to boot). I'm now 44, so that means that I've been at this for 32 years. Double sigh!! You know, it's funny how we always think of ourselves as still being 16.... ;P

Defect? Me? You mean to Nikon? As in from Canon? I never really left, you know. Oh, I run around with a Canon 1Ds-I, true, but more often than not it has an ancient Nikkor manual focus lens on it. My favorite is the non-AI 85mm f1.8, closely followed by the non-AI 105mm f2.5. I love the feel of the old scalloped metal focusing rings. Plus, most of the old NAI and AI lenses have 180 degree focusing throws, which I also perfer to the newer 90 degree ones. :)

I have the 1Ds because I wanted something digital with a full-frame imager that had metering that worked with manual focus lenses and also allowed swapping of the focusing screen for ine with a split-image rangefinder. You know, the old way of doing things. Well, that list of specs leaves out everything Nikon and also the Kodaks. Maybe if Beattie comes out with a split-image/grid screen for the D2 series like the one I have in the 1Ds, I might be tempted to get a D2X one day. I don't know as I'd want to give up the full-frame aspect of the 1Ds, though.....

I also have the D2H, plus the old E2, so I haven't left the Nikon camp for Canon. I just added the Canon and 'converted' it to the Nikon mount with an adapter or two. :) You know, the 1Ds is quite useful for most shooting, but when one wants sports shooting speed (both frame rate and ISO) in existing light, the 1Ds falls rather short. That's not the sort of work it's meant to do, while it's right up the the D2H's alley (pun intended since I'm referring to shooting professional bowling here).....

Anyway, I had the original D1, then a D1H and also a D1X. I didn't much care for the images from the D1X due to it's rather oddball pixel arrangement, preferring the Kodak 660 as my 6 MP camera at the time. The original D1 had a bit too much noise, even at ISO 200 (at least mine did), while the D1H was much, much cleaner. I always felt that the D1 was released one development pass too early and that the D1H was what the D1 ought to have been all along.

So, that's what's behind my thinking that if I were to get another D1 for my 'collection', it will probably be a D1H and not an original D1. I really do not want to get another D1X since I know I'll not use it for anything, while I can see using a D1H once in a while. There's a certain smoothness to the images from the D1H that I like, and nothing else I've had produces images quite as smooth. :)

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Brian Sweeney

Post by Brian Sweeney »

Pssttt... Stan, I think the reference was to the Ebay name "nikonf" bidding on the Fujix. I read some of his feedback and he looks like a longtime collector.

I know what you mean about looking back. I picked up a Minolta Hi-Matic 9 when I was 11. That was 1969. I still have it and it still works.

My D1 looks like a late production unit; I have not noticed any noise issues. Noise can be a bear and getting it right with all of those computer electronics is no easy task. I worked on a one-of-a-kind IR Scanner (MW and LW) system in 1982 that used 14-bit a/d's. The contractor mixed the analog and digital components and got 9-bits of noise. My D1 12 bit files look good, but I have not even bothered to take it off of ISO 200. Just keep an F1.4 lens on it.
NIKON KIU

DEFECTION

Post by NIKON KIU »

Exactly,
Although its a great pleasure to read Stan open up!!!!
Yeah,these old timers have been snooping around here,I can almost smell their Nikon F's
Kiu :twisted:
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

Oh! You meant the eBay bidder 'nikonf' when you said 'old-timer'. I don't feel so bad now. :)

Actually, I suppose anyone that got into digital SLRs before the D1 qualifies as a 'digital old-timer', eh? The D1 is sort of like the original F, and the stuff that came before is more like the old rangefinder gear (since there's only been one digital RF unit, and it's pretty recent)......

My D1 was in the first production block of serial numbers. It was one of the ones with the bad oscillator. It made for a lot of banding noise even at ISO 400. It wound up being sent in twice, and that banding issue was not fixed until the second pass.

However, it still had a small amount of low-level noise at even ISO 200 after the fix, and it still wasn't usable at ISO 1600. I had picked up a Kodak 620x for ISO 800 and up as a result.

When I upgraded to the D1H, the low-level noise was gone at ISO 200-800 and it wasn't too bad at 1600. Even 3200 was usable, so I let the 620x go along with the D1 and picked up a matching D1X. Anyway, I'm going to start watching eBay for a D1H. :)

I'll let the old Nikon F shooters have the E2 and E3 units. You know, I never did have an original F, although I had both an F2AS and an F2H at one point in the days BD (Before Digital). :)

Later!

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Brian Sweeney

Post by Brian Sweeney »

Well, I do not own a Nikon F from each production block, but I do have a few.

And I would agree that the Nikon D1 is the "equivalent" in the digital age of a Nikon F. The E series was more like a Nikon I, a real learning experience that was not ready for prime time.

Now Nikon just needs to come out with a Digital RF that uses S-Mount. Or at least Kodak needs to make a digital back for it. After all, the back comes off of the SP and the whole thing should be the size of an S36.
Brian Sweeney

Post by Brian Sweeney »

And the high bidder for the Nikon E2s is also a longtime collector; with an EBay name with "m609" in it, I would say Jarle has the long-time collectors convinced that the E-Series cameras are key to a complete collection.

BTW: Today I was using the D1x to document some prototypes, including trying to get the whole setup that was on an 8' optics bench. I was crammed against the wall with the 20mm F2.8 trying to fit it all in. After the shots were taken, the person that needed them shrunk them down to 1280x1024 for use in Powerpoint slides. The E3 would have been easier to work with. The other point of note is how BIG the view through the E3 finder is compared with the D1x and D1. If Nikon comes out with a "modern" full-frame camera, I would get it. Maybe I'll just have to buy a used E series for the lab.
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Brian Sweeney wrote:The E3 would have been easier to work with. The other point of note is how BIG the view through the E3 finder is compared with the D1x and D1.
Hi,

Yes, I can see where the E3 would have been the tool that best matched that particular job. Of course, I use my E2 for exactly the same purpose - images meant for display on a computer screen.

I have a 10x12 foot space over at the wife's screenprinting shop for a photo studio, so I don't have much space to back up in. The subjects are usually T-shirts on a torso display. With an APS format DSLR, I'd need to use a 35mm lens, which isn't too bad. However, we also screenprint larger things like signs, that can be as large as 4x8 feet. I'd need a 14mm lens on an APS format camera to shoot one of those.

Then, when I'm finished, that 3 or 4 or 6 MP image needs to be downsampled since it's too large for what we need. What I want is 1.5 MP at most, for the 'supersized' version, along with a couple of smaller versions.

Enter the E2. It has a wider FOV, so I can get by with the usual set of prime lenses. It has only 1.5 MP, so the thing matches the need quite well. It also offers a 4:3 aspect ratio, which happily matches most of the computer display screens out there. The big plus was that I had the thing already, and it was sitting on a shelf. I had replaced with with an original D1, followed by a host of others.

Actually, what happened was one day I was already at the shop when the wife brought in a stack of new shirt designs to be shot. I had left the D1 at home, of course, so I had to trek back and get it. On the way, the thought of using the E2 occured to me. I could collect that up, along with several of those old AI and AI'd lenses I had sitting unused and left over from my old FE and FA's. So, I could just take that stuff over and leave it there. All I needed to do was swing by the photo store and pick up an extra tripod and I'd be all set. :)

So, that's what I did, and it's been a great solution for the past few years. I use the full-size E2 image for the supersize shot, make up a 640x480 for the standard shot, and make a thumbnail for the web store index.

As far as the viewfinder goes, I know exactly what you mean. I always thought that all the DSLR makers really needed to rethink their viewfinders to be more like the standard 35mm film SLR ones, and not these 'look through a pipe' views they all have.

Now that I have the 1Ds, which is just as sweet in the viewfinder department as the E series, I get a shock every time I pick up the D2H and look through it's viewfinder. It's not that the D2H view is bad - it does it's job just fine - it's just that I need a few minutes to get used to the feeling of tunnel vision.

Well, maybe one day, Nikon will figure out that there is enough of a market out there for a FF DSLR to be worth their while. I fully understand the tradeoffs between the 35mm fomat and the APS one when it comes to digital sensors (something a 1Ds will teach one in a hurry!), but I do prefer the larger format.

In fact, liking the 35mm DSLR format got me to thinking hard about a 645 body and a Kodak Pro Back Plus (now that the backs are showing up in the used market), since that's even larger. But, the cost of glass for any of the three 645 systems the PBP supports puts that idea to rest. All I can say is that any time anyone thinks that the glass for the 35mm systems cost too much, they need to head to B&H's website and look at any of the 645 system prices. That'll make the 35mm stuff look positively cheap! :P

Later!

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Brian Sweeney

Post by Brian Sweeney »

The DS505a is OVER $300!

Glad I got my E3.

If anyone has them to sell, this is the time!

I never realized that Nikon made so few, and I guess it is "out of the bag" now. Kodak made a lot of DCS cameras. For $75, my DCS420c gets used around the swimming pool. Plenty on EBay to replace it if it takes a dive. I use the DCS200ir, but not in the swimming pool.
taffer

Post by taffer »

Webmaster wrote:
Brian Sweeney wrote:After all, we may represent the only 8 people that actually have an interest in these cameras!
Yes, we are a sad bunch :wink:

Good idea, I agree.

Jarle
Hehe, and I'm one of the eight as well :p Been waiting for my DCS420c (of course after Brian told us about it on the DSLRexchange forum) but seems was sent by slow boat so I'll have to be patient !

Well, just wanted to say hi and don't worry, I already spent my vintage DLR funds this year :D
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

Welcome!

Post by NikonWeb »

taffer wrote:Been waiting for my DCS420c (of course after Brian told us about it on the DSLRexchange forum) but seems was sent by slow boat so I'll have to be patient !
Hi and welcome! Congratulations with your new camera (eBay?). Ever used one of these before? Obviously, the DCS 420 can't compete with a modern DSLR, but it's a lot of fun. Let us know what you think when you've had a chance to test it. Enjoy!

Jarle