Shooting with my DS-565 (E3S)

Discuss Nikon E2, E3 (incl. Fujix DS-505, 515 and 56x models), the original Nikon D1 and other discontinued Nikon DSLRs. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
Ross_Alford

Post by Ross_Alford »

I hadn't realized that the "TIF"/RAW files aren't 16 bit. I have now tried out Jarle's excellent RAW PhotoDesk program, which loads E3 TIF files and can interpolate them up a bit in size, using Lanczos interpolation. The final image quality is a lot better than when shooting straight to JPEGs.

A different note--I've tried a lot of lens/aperture combinations looking for ones that don't vignette too badly, and one really stands out--a 24-120 VR lens. The VR and AF don't work, since the E3 doesn't have the proper electronics, but a miracle occurs--there is either no vignetting at all, or vignetting so minimal I haven't noticed it (I have not been shooting flat white walls, but real subjects, so a little could pass unnoticed) at ANY focal length or ANY aperture from 6.7 (as wide open as the camera seems willing to go with this lens, for some reason) to 16, and not even at 22 at the 24mm end. Amazing. I was about to sell this lens, but I may keep it a while longer to fiddle with the E3.
Brian Sweeney

Post by Brian Sweeney »

I tend to use my E3 exclusively with a 60mm F2.8 Micro-Nikkor. The E3 works with my SB-29 ringflash, something the newer D1 and D2 series cannot do. I like the SB-29, with it's TTL mode and modeling light. Great for 1:1 close-ups with the E3. I've been using the E3 at work for some close-ups for a technical report. I wonder how many others have been pressed back into "official use".