My D2X is now outdated..

Discuss Nikon E2, E3 (incl. Fujix DS-505, 515 and 56x models), the original Nikon D1 and other discontinued Nikon DSLRs. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

My D2X is now outdated..

Post by NikonWeb »

After a little more than a year, my D2X is now replaced by Nikon's new flagship camera, the D2Xs:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0606/06060102nikond2xs.asp

Luckily, there are no major new features that I really need, so I won't lose any sleep over this one, although I'm sure some people will. Some of the changes should be easy to fix in a firmware upgrade. We'll see.

Good news: The new D2Xs battery is backwards compatible, meaning that existing D2X owners can use the new EN-EL4a battery. But do you *really* need 3800 exposures in one charge?

Personally, I plan to keep and use my D2X for years to come. I've even considered getting a 4 megapixel D2H/D2Hs for those occasions where I don't need 12.4 megapixels, but it's probably smart to wait another year or two, while prices continue to drop.

Jarle
Last edited by NikonWeb on Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

No, no no, no no no!

You simply *cannot* do this. Keep a camera when the new one is out! Unheard of!

You *must* head straight to eBay and put that puppy on the market. I'll bid the first buck to get you started!

Sheesh!

Stan

p.s. in case someone needs it, the entire post is :P :P :P
Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Firmware upgrade

Post by NikonWeb »

Hi Stan,

I guess you're right. I should sell it. What was I thinking!?

Seriously: I got a confirmation from Nikon that a D2X firmware upgrade will be made available this fall. It will include "most of the upgrades that can be done through firmware". Sweet!

Jarle
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

*Now* you're on the right track! You'd forgotten the 'golden rule': As soon as a new model comes out, the old one starts taking crappy pix. You *have* to upgrade.

BTW, the reason it's called the 'golden' rule is that you have to fork over more gold! :P

Seriously, it's darned nice of Nikon to mention that a firmware upgrade will be coming for the D2X before they even start selling the D2Xs. :)

I recall a time when they told us that the firmware wasn't something we could update. Things are much better now. :)

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer
Brian Sweeney

Post by Brian Sweeney »

Well, I brought my "outdated" E3 into work today. It works with my "outdated" SB-29 flash and 60/2.8 Micro-Nikkor. Best flash going for 1:1 macro photography. TTL operation. Annoyed me to no end that Nikon changed the TTL circuitry on my "better" D1x and the D2x down the hall.

I'll upgrade when they come out with the E4, 16MPixel full-frame, use the accessories from the Film Cameras.
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Full frame

Post by NikonWeb »

Brian Sweeney wrote:I'll upgrade when they come out with the E4, 16MPixel full-frame, use the accessories from the Film Cameras.
I strongly doubt we'll ever see an E4, but it's only a matter of time before we'll see a D3 and D4. One of these will probably be full frame, I think.

Personally I don't really see the need for a full frame sensor, except - perhaps - that it will produce images with less noise and better sharpness.
It's often difficult to get sharp results when shooting the D2X handheld at 1/8 - 1/30 sec. This is easier to achieve with lower density (i.e. bigger) sensor.

Jarle
steveo_uk

Post by steveo_uk »

I read about the D2Xs with interest but i have no plans to upgrade my d2x either. Especially as many of the upgrades can be changed with a firmware upgrade. Now if they had upgraded the sensors to 18 million pixels it might have been a differnt story.
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Pixels..

Post by NikonWeb »

steveo_uk wrote:Now if they had upgraded the sensors to 18 million pixels it might have been a differnt story.
Hi and welcome on board!

According to rumours (and common sense), one of Nikon's future pro models will probably be in the 18-22 megapixel range, but I'm more interested in other features, like built in GPS, wi-fi, in-camera VR, anti dust features, etc. Personally, I don't really need any more pixels.

Jarle