Nikon D1, Lexar 2gb CF Card "CHA" Error

Discuss Nikon E2, E3 (incl. Fujix DS-505, 515 and 56x models), the original Nikon D1 and other discontinued Nikon DSLRs. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
zzopit

Nikon D1, Lexar 2gb CF Card "CHA" Error

Post by zzopit »

I am having a problem with my D1 and a LEXAR 2gb 80x Pro card. After 4 months of almost daily use the camera is giving me a CHA card error. Tried to reformat, quick-format on both PC and Apple as well as in the camera, no luck.

I can save/read files to the card on the computer, just can't get it to format in the camera using the FORMAT function on the D1.

Anyone experience this? know how to resolve?

Alernate solution....2gb cards are cheap now, the SANDISK, PNY and Brand X-types are all under $100 now, anyone have recommendations for altrernatives if my Lexar is kaput?

zzopit
Long Island NY
S2, F, F2, F3, F4, F5
ZZOPIT
LONG ISLAND NY
S2/F/F2/F3/F4/F5/D1
and lots of glass.
Ross_Alford

Post by Ross_Alford »

Sorry I can't help with understanding the error but I would recommend Sandisk cards; I have several of those, going back to a PCMCIA card I bought in 1994, and they have been very reliable and are well made. The Ultra II 2Gb, which I think is about $79 in the US now, seems like a very attractive deal for its combination of high speed, high quality and relatively low price.

Ross
zzopit

Lexar taking care of it, but bought a Sandisk 1gb as backup

Post by zzopit »

On the advice of another member I contacted Lexar. They appear to be VERY ACCOMODATING to pros who depend of their gear, offering to exchange the card for me. I mailed it in, they claim a 5-6 day turnaround, no receipt, no questions asked.

I had to shoot a job with -gasp- film early Monday morning, they were ok with that. Used the F5 for the most part + a roll KR in the '64 F.

Seems that this card and other Lexars have been causing some problems among the D1/D1X/D1H folks with that darn CHA-CARD error. Google LEXAR NIKON D1 CHA ERROR and you can see what I mean.

So I needed a back up card ASAP. Picked up a Sandisk 1gb, booted up immediately with 711 images on the counter. (only $36 at J and R, bought two). Sorry Lexar, I can't take the chance.

D1 is still a wonderful beast, never failed me and still bringing in the money. Even the non-ai 15mm 5.6 mounts up. Now if we could just figure a way to retrofit a 12mp 24x36 sensor......
ZZOPIT
LONG ISLAND NY
S2/F/F2/F3/F4/F5/D1
and lots of glass.
NIKON KIU

Post by NIKON KIU »

I have always used the original blue and red Sandisk cards without problems, they are now offered up to 4gigs!
I am always scared of using the new hi speed card in the D1.
Kiu
Lets talk Nikon
zzopit

Lexar replaced, happy now...

Post by zzopit »

In closing, we happily note that Lexar replaced the CF card, no charge. Up and running again with a back up chip nearby.

Ran thru a set of 100 exposures using the D1 and my Ai'd 50 1.4 set in <B/W fine>, only 1300 remaining.

- JiZ[/img]
ZZOPIT
LONG ISLAND NY
S2/F/F2/F3/F4/F5/D1
and lots of glass.