digital

Discuss Nikon E2, E3 (incl. Fujix DS-505, 515 and 56x models), the original Nikon D1 and other discontinued Nikon DSLRs. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
Nikonhswebmaster

digital

Post by Nikonhswebmaster »

As a long time collector of early computers, it seems to me that the programs we use are an integral part of the digitial experience.

Programes like MacPaint started it all, as well as early computers such as the NeXT.

I personally owned some really early stuff, for one thing the first Sony Mavica, and I have loved digital images from the beginning.
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

Photoshop history

Post by NikonWeb »

My first photo editor was Aldus Photostyler ver. 1.1, if I remember correctly.

I later switched to Adobe Photoshop, like most people. I seem to remember that I used ver. 2.5 (the first Windows release), and I think I still have the original Photoshop 3.0 box (released in November 1994).

Here's an interesting piece of Photoshop history: '10 years of Photoshop - The birth of a killer application' (650 KB PDF document):

http://pixelgenius.com/tips/schewe-pshistory.pdf

Jarle
Brian Sweeney

Post by Brian Sweeney »

I still use Photoshop 3.0 to get images off of the DCS200IR! It also takes the 12-bit mode transfers from the DCS420c. More modern versions of the DCS420 drivers "killed-off" the older Twain drivers that allow use of the DCS200ir. I also still have Photostyler 1.1 installed. Both programs were "bundled" with the Microtek 1850 Slide Scanner bought ~'94. I have noticed problems with the PStyler JPEG save option. Many of the JPEG's saved with it are unreadable. Photoshop 3.0 is fairly "solid".

I suspect if anyone wants to run a DCS100 or DCS200, they will be looking for older versions of Photoshop.
Nikonhswebmaster

Post by Nikonhswebmaster »

I always found PS 3 VERY solid on the Mac and the PC. I had copies on both. I also had a copy for NeXT, but never used it as much.

My first editor was Micrograhx Picture Publisher for the PC. At the time it was much more powerful than Photoshop, which more closely resembled MacPaint at the time.