E series battery interchangability?

Discuss Nikon E2, E3 (incl. Fujix DS-505, 515 and 56x models), the original Nikon D1 and other discontinued Nikon DSLRs. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
Ross_Alford

E series battery interchangability?

Post by Ross_Alford »

Yet another question. In his writeup on the DS-565, Jarle mentioned using a battery from his E2 in his DS-565. I was wondering, can you go the other way? Now that I have a working EN-3, would that power an E2 series camera? Seems like it would.

Just thinking ahead; that could make a difference in my willingness to buy a different camera model without a battery included, which seems to happen fairly often...

Thanks,
Ross

On another note, I would be very interested in seeing a summary of what the custom functions 1-9 on the E3 do and what their parameters are. I have fiddled with this a bit but am loathe to change anything from its present value, and I haven't found any resources on the Web explaining this, either.

If someone was willing to take the risk of sending their precious E3 manual to me, I would undertake to scan it in, make a nice PDF, return it to the owner, and send copies of the PDF to anyone in the group who needs/wants them (or put it on a web site somewhere for download, though I gather Nikon is very aggressive about redistributing their manuals--they might be less so for a camera they barely acknowledge exists?).
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

Re: E series battery interchangability?

Post by NikonWeb »

Ross_Alford wrote:Yet another question. In his writeup on the DS-565, Jarle mentioned using a battery from his E2 in his DS-565. I was wondering, can you go the other way?
No problem, as far as I can tell. I've used all my batteries (and AC adapter) in both E2 and E3 units. Never had any issues.

Regarding manuals, you'll find the older Fujix 505/515 manual below. I don't have the E3 manual myself. Anyone?

http://www.nikonweb.com/manuals/fujix_5 ... _Part1.pdf (1.5 MB)

http://www.nikonweb.com/manuals/fujix_5 ... _Part2.pdf (1.2 MB)

http://www.nikonweb.com/manuals/fujix_505a_addendum.pdf (400 KB)

These files may be removed without further notice so please download them while you can. You'll need Adobe Acrobat Reader version 6.0 or later.

Jarle
drummond93

E3/ E3s manuals- pdf files

Post by drummond93 »

I'll scan my E3/E3s manual sometime this weekend and post to the webmaster... it's not that different than the afore-mentioned E2 manual - in quickly glancing through it, it's probably about 85% exactly the same as the E2 manual... just a few different sections for the other modes and a couple different pages on it's technical specifications. The page count of the E3 is 113 pgs; the E2 (DS 505/515) is 96 pgs.

The main differences (from the table of contents) is that the E3/E3S manual has the following (which the E2/ DS 505/515 doesn't)

-setting a user ID number
-Using the PC (personal computer) mode
-Custom settings
-Low vibration setting
-GPS mode
-Index to the guide
drummond93

Custom settings- quick summary

Post by drummond93 »

Here's a quick summary of the custom settings:

1. Direction of command dial rotation; 0=normal, 1=reverse

2. Setting AE-L (Auto-exposure lock) by pressing shutter release halfway; 0= not functional (Factory setting); 1=AE-L

3. Modify power-hold timer; L4= 4 seconds, L8=8sec; L16=16sec; L32=32 sec and L180 = 180sec

4. Setting aperture in A mode; 0=front dial; 1=rear dial

5. Front focus and rear focus indication in AF mode; 0=indicator appears, 1 = no indicator appears

6. AF operation by pressing shutter release halfway; 0= AF off; 1= AF on

7. User ID number recorded to Image Memory card; 0= off, 1= on

8. Image quality selection mode; 0 = regular; 1=clear outline, 2= printing mode, 3= black and white

9. Exposure compensation; 0=off; 1=on
Ross_Alford

Post by Ross_Alford »

Thnaks very much for the responses. I really appreciate them. It is great to have found such a helpful, friendly community of people with a common interest.

A little story--I've been interested in cameras and photography since I was a kid, and have had a moderate collection of old film cameras since I could afford to start accumulating them, have shot nothing but digital for about 3 years.

My interest in the older digitals really developed after I more or less accidentally came across an auction some of you may recall on eBay--I think it ended in about November or December of last year. If my faulty memory serves me correctly, it was for an E2 or E2s in quite nice shape, with charger, battery etc., and the person who put the listing in included a diatribe about the evils of digital cameras, how this camera he was selling was a great example of how awful digital cameras are, with terrible image quality and phenomenally expensive when new, how he expected this horrible thing to sell for nothing, etc. I wish I had saved a copy of that; it was a wonderful example of how not to market something. I think it sold for on the order of $US250, or maybe even less.

I was amazed that anyone would sell anything so rare and fascinating for so little money, and decided I had to start searching for these classics before everyone else catches on and they get beyond affordability.

Cheers,
Ross
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

Well, the eBay guy was correct as far as using these things go.

I bought my Nikon E2 for $750 in late 1999 from a guy that had just spent $5000 for the much more capable Nikon D1. He had paid $12,000 for the E2, though - and got $750 for it - so he was one of those that might just write up an eBay auction like you saw! :P

Me, I soon found out that I should have put that $750 towards a D1 since I wound up buying one for $5000 myself four short months after getting the E2. By that time, I'd have been lucky to get $250 for it, I think!

As it was, the E2 taught me that I really wanted to move from film to digital and that spending that $5k on a D1 was really worthwhile. If I had spent $5k on a D1 and found that digital was not the way for me to go, I'd have been much more unhappy......

In the end, I found that the E2 also fit a specific use I had for a digital camera - web images. So, I still make use of it even though that D1 is long gone from my kit.

I must admit, though, when I bought the D1 I thought about dumping the E2 back on ebay where it came from and get what I could for it. Then, I figured that one day, as a rare Nikon model, it might just be worth hanging onto. It was after I thought of this, that I thought of the web image use for it, so that meant I could actually get some use out of my $750 while I was waiting to it to become worth more than it cost new. :)

I may be in for a long wait, though! :P

I won't even go into the Kodak 560 I have that cost someone $25,000 at one point.....

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer