OT: Nikon S-100 Color Video Camera (link to article)

Discuss Nikon E2, E3 (incl. Fujix DS-505, 515 and 56x models), the original Nikon D1 and other discontinued Nikon DSLRs. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

OT: Nikon S-100 Color Video Camera (link to article)

Post by NikonWeb »

Just bought a rare Nikon S-100 video camera. $9.99 on eBay.

An interesting piece since it's Nikon's only (?) video camera, and could be considered a predecessor (kind of) to the QV-1000C Still Video Camera - Nikon's first electronic, filmless camera. Later generations includes the bulky E series bodies and the D1.

From a Nikon web article:

"The "S-100" was the only model of video camera developed by Nippon Kogaku itself, and the development group was disorganized. However, talents invited and brought up at that time contributed to build a basis of the field of electronic imaging of Nikon, having formed the core group for developing such products as film scanners and digital cameras."

Source: http://www.nikon.co.jp/main/eng/portfol ... ns20_e.htm

Update: More info on the NHS forum: http://p200.ezboard.com/fnikonhistorica ... 1486.topic

Jarle
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Nikon S-100 article

Post by NikonWeb »

Link to NikonWeb article, incl. photos: http://www.nikonweb.com/s100

Jarle
precertvideo

Re: Nikon S-100 article

Post by precertvideo »

Webmaster wrote:Some day I may try to hook the camera up to a TV, VCR, or something. The cables/plugs are not familiar to me, so I need to do some homework first. I'm not too optimistic, and won't loose any sleep over it. We'll see.
As per the picture towards the bottom of your article, this sort of camera was used plugged into a portable, battery powered video recorder (which would have normal video outputs) in a shoulder case.

I have a couple of Canon's and a JVC-they're pretty much the same setup as you have, (Not sure quite what the Camera Control Unit does...) The plugs you illustrate also look familiar.
My Canon VCRs came with the optional TV tuner unit (as big as the VCR itself)

BTW is the view finder a small CRT (like later camcorders) or is it like an SLR?

Jonathan

EDIT:
Have just read about the view finder on the Nikon site-that's a novel arrangement-not sure that I've seen another consumer video camera that lets you see directly through the lens SLR style. The sensor is what was known as a 'Saticon Tube' (this might be a JVC trademark-it's not used on the Nikon site) It was sort of like a CRT in reverse, and suffered from burnout if left pointed at a very bright light. They were physically quite long & pretty soon gave out to CCD's.
DCS serial no. survey
RC-760, EOS-1D & Ds Mk I, II, III, EOS*DCS-3, 5, DCS, DCS-200ci, 420, 460, D1, D1H & X, D2H & X, E2, F, F2, F3, F4, MVC-2000, 5000, 7000, RD-175, 3000, EF 50mm f/1.0, Audi S2, Porsche 911, GSX-R1000 K9
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Re: Nikon S-100 article

Post by NikonWeb »

Thanks Jonathan. Interesting.

It's a special camera, with its optical viewfinder, and image pickup tube located in the vertical grip. And most importantly: Its historical significance, even if it was a commercial failure.

Jarle