production of D1-series

Discuss Nikon E2, E3 (incl. Fujix DS-505, 515 and 56x models), the original Nikon D1 and other discontinued Nikon DSLRs. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
nikonnl
antispam: No

production of D1-series

Post by nikonnl »

Hello, does somebody has figures about the total production of the D1, D1X and D1H ?? The D1 may have a total production of approx. 35,000 bodies (given the serial numbers I've seen). But what about the D1X and D1H. The latter wasn't sold that much, or?
And: did the D1H had a software upgrade as well as the D1X?
Thanks,
Nico
spreefurt

Post by spreefurt »

I don't know the production numbers, but I agree, that the D1H will be rarer than the D1 or D1X. The serial numbers seem to be a good source for production numbers of japanese cameras (in opposite to Nikon cameras from Thailand). Perhaps we should consider also the D2 series. The estimated production numbers according to known serial numbers:

D1: 35,000
D1H: ?
D1X: ?
D2H: 42,000
D2Hs: 7,000 (!!!)
D2X: more than 65,000
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Re: production of D1-series

Post by NikonWeb »

Here are some numbers from a dpreview post by well-know photographer and writer Thom Hogan:

"The D70 has sold in excess of 1.2m units"

"The D2x has sold perhaps 120k units"

"..the D70 also has D50, D80, and D200 brothers selling in significant numbers, while the D2x has a weak sibbling in the D2h."

From an older article at bythom.com:

"Reuters Japan is reporting that Nikon is increasing D70 production from 70k units a month to 90k units by September or October. The figures apparently come directly from Kimura-san, the managing director for imaging products. Nikon's expectations are now that they will sell one million DSLR bodies in the current fiscal year (ends March 2005). If you're doing the math, that means 780k D70's and only 220k other bodies, which indicates that a significant portion of Nikon's DSLR sales shifted from higher priced models when the D70 came out."

I'm still looking for D1 numbers.

Jarle
nikonnl

Post by nikonnl »

Hi everybody,
let me come back to this subject.
I have collected some more info about production numbers of the D1-series; if someone is interested
The D1 has come to some 40,000; the D1H to some 20,000 and the D1X just over 60,000 cameras. Making the D1H the rarest of them. My D1H produces better pictures than the D1 and even better than the D1X. Both cameras have made more than 160,000 activations, giving problems (shutter & falsh sync) to the D1X now-and-than.
My D1 (#9) is probably a prototype, as oemone of Nikon Europe told me.
Regards,
Nico

www.nicovandijk.net/digislr.htm
D1/D1X/D1H/D2H/D2X etc.
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Post by NikonWeb »

nikonnl wrote:I have collected some more info about production numbers of the D1-series; if someone is interested
Hi Nico,

Interesting. Are these confirmed numbers, or just estimates based on serial numbers (or some other info)?

Jarle
nikonnl

Post by nikonnl »

Hi Jarle, over more than one year I've followed ebay (and other) sales and looked at the serial numbers. Nikon Corporation doesn't give production totals, so it is just an estimate.
Regards,
Nico
D1/D1X/D1H/D2H/D2X etc.