Nikon D1 No.1 ??

Discuss Nikon E2, E3 (incl. Fujix DS-505, 515 and 56x models), the original Nikon D1 and other discontinued Nikon DSLRs. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
nikonnl
antispam: No

Nikon D1 No.1 ??

Post by nikonnl »

Hi friends,
Nikon never sold its very first cameras of whatever line, so I assume the first D1, which came on the market in October 1999 (CeBit 1999 in Hannover, Germany), must rest in the factory. I have a D1 with serial number 9, so might this be the first on the (European) market? Who knows more about the introduction of Nikon's first digital reflex camera?
Thanks a lot.
Regards,
Nico
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Re: Nikon D1 No.1 ??

Post by NikonWeb »

nikonnl wrote:I have a D1 with serial number 9, so might this be the first on the (European) market?
Hi Nico,

Are you really sure it's number nine - as in the ninth D1 body ever made?

As we've seen from the E-series serial list, there are plenty of low numbers out there. For example DS-515A no. 7410005 (hey, look at me, I've got camera number 5!) and DS-565 no. 9200003 (that's nothing, I've got camera number 3!), and so on.

Jarle
nikonnl

No. 9

Post by nikonnl »

Hi Jarle, yes I have Nikon D1 with #5000009, bought in Rotterdam 2 years ago. I've seen many digital camera's at this site with low numbers, which is a bit odd. Most early camera's were and are in factory possession. The D1 isn't a rare camera, as more than 15,000 were made. The others from the early digital era aren't, so I wonder how a camera with such a low serial number could make it to Holland/Europe.
Regards,
Nico

BTW: do you know how to solve the back focus problem. One or two srews in the mirror house should be turned for adjustment, but how and which direction?
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Re: No. 9

Post by NikonWeb »

nikonnl wrote:I've seen many digital camera's at this site with low numbers, which is a bit odd.
Not really, considering that very few of these cameras were made. Few cameras = low serial numbers. It would be more odd to see an E-series camera with a very high serial number. I agree that a D1 with no. 5000009 sounds very low, but it obviously depends when they started counting :-)
nikonnl wrote:do you know how to solve the back focus problem. One or two srews in the mirror house should be turned for adjustment, but how and which direction?
I've seen some home made solutions on how to adjust the focus of various D-series bodies (adjusting screws like you've suggested), but from what I've understood this is a less than accurate - and not correct - way to do it. I suggest that you get a Nikon service center to do this. If you really want to do it yourself, I suggest that you ask in the forums over at www.nikonians.org or www.nikoncafe.com.

Good luck.

Jarle