Nikon E3 / E3s 1998 press release

Discuss Nikon E2, E3 (incl. Fujix DS-505, 515 and 56x models), the original Nikon D1 and other discontinued Nikon DSLRs. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

Nikon E3 / E3s 1998 press release

Post by NikonWeb »

May be old news (of course it is - it's from 1998), but I can't remember having seen this press release on Nikon's own web site before:

http://www.nikon.co.jp/main/eng/news/1998/maye3_98.htm

Professional digital cameras Nikon E3 / E3s Digital Camera Refinement Redefined

Jun. 1998

Tokyo, Japan (Nippon) June 15, 1998 --- Nikon introduces the new Digital Camera Nikon E3 and E3s : uniquely advanced professional digital cameras that approach the performance of the finest 35mm [135]-format AF SLRs.

The two cameras advance the standards of cutting-edge digital photography previously established by Nikon's introduction of the E2 and E2s SLR-type digital cameras in 1995 and the E2N and E2Ns in 1996.

Nikon Professional E Series digital cameras have since become the digital camera of choice for premium performance in fields including journalism, medical research, publishing, construction, academics, education and other applications in which peerless digital images are vital assets.

Remarkably, the E3 and E3s are priced lower than their predecessors, yet feature such refinements to control and convenience such as white balance fine tuning and preview (PV) mode.

The cameras feature a high-sensitivity 1.4-million (1,364 x 1,032)-square-pixel CCD that processes high-definition (1,280 x 1,000 pixel) images at the ISO equivalent of 800 (STD), 1600 (MID) or 3200 (HIGH).

Infrared (IR) reduction and optical low-pass filters retain realistic tone and balance of RGB coloration, while reducing RGB moire.

Both cameras allow 1 frame / sec. shooting until the memory card is full.

Also, the E3s' large buffer memory allows it to shoot up to 12 consecutive images at 3 frames / sec.

Both cameras enhance control of digital photography and sensitivity to various situations. White balance can be set to any of six(6) settings, then manually fine-tuned.

Preview (PV) mode provides a clear view of the scene and subject before the shot is taken and committed to memory.

Three (3) metering modes, four (4) exposure modes and auto bracketing compensation at +-1/4 EV, +-1/2 EV or +-3/4 EV offer ample exposure flexibility.

Nine (9) custom settings include some of those built into Nikon's ultimate 35mm[135]-format SLR, the F5.

User-ID recording to an Image Memory Card simplifies picture storage and recall.

Nikon compatibility has many advantages.

The viewfinder image and final picture are virtually identical, whether using a Nikkor lens mounted on a Professional E Series digital or a Nikon 35mm [135]-format SLR camera. Moreover, the E3 and E3s can be used with a wide array of Nikon SLR equipment and accessories, including Speedlights.

Anti-vibration mode reinforces image stability and precision.
A 25-pin D-Sub SCSI connector simplifies setting and control of camera functions, facilitating transfer of image data direct to PCs and printers.

An analog video output terminal for NTSC or PAL signals allows images to be monitored without using a PC.

Other digital photographic innovations include Preview (PV) Mode handy for viewing of the scene to be shot on a connected TV monitor, image storage to Image Memory (PCMCIA) Card Nikon EC-15, delete functions and four compression modes for storage.

A long-life, rechargeable Ni-MH (nickel-metal hydride) battery EN-3 provides power enough to shoot up to about 1,000 consecutive shots.

*The E3 and E3s, like the E2 Series, were co-developed with Fuji Photo Film Co., Ltd., which will introduce the same products under a different brand.
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

How ironic that you post the E3 announcement here one day before Nikon announces the D3. Did you know something there?? :P

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

E3/D3

Post by NikonWeb »

Stan Disbrow wrote:How ironic that you post the E3 announcement here one day before Nikon announces the D3. Did you know something there?? :P
Hi Stan,

Actually...

Just kidding. I didn't have any inside info. Just a coincidence.

That being said, I was convinced that it would only be a matter of time before Nikon released a "full frame" (i.e. 35mm) model. The D3 sure looks like a nice camera. I'm still very happy with my D2X, but we'll see.. Will be interesting to see some low light sample photos.

Jarle
NIKON KIU

Post by NIKON KIU »

A long-life, rechargeable Ni-MH (nickel-metal hydride) battery EN-3 provides power enough to shoot up to about 1,000 consecutive shots.
Not after 10 years....I get 1 hour with mine :wink:

Kiu
Lets talk Nikon