Looking for D1H

Discuss Nikon E2, E3 (incl. Fujix DS-505, 515 and 56x models), the original Nikon D1 and other discontinued Nikon DSLRs. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

Looking for D1H

Post by NikonWeb »

I feel a strange urge to get a D1H. The D1H and D1X were announced in February, 2001. The D1H cost around $4500 back then. These days they sell for around $400 (even the good looking ones). It's only 2.7 megapixels, but still a very capable camera.

The new D3 is undoubtedly an amazing camera, but I'm a little tired of all the D3/D300 hype. Getting a 2.7 megapixel camera, with excellent 2.7 megapixel image quality, sounds like the right thing to do right now. I often find myself downsizing images to 1000 pixels or so, for web use and sharing by e-mail. A D1H would be great for such purposes. I can always get a D3 later.

For future reference, here's some info from Nikon's press release, dated February 5, 2001:

"The D1H expands the potential for newspaper photographers and other fast-breaking communication industries as well as professional sports photography where speed is an essential component of the workflow process.

The camera provides picture-taking speeds up to five (5) frames per second and a buffer that will hold up to 40 pictures from 7.9 megabyte files. With this performance, the D1H becomes the fastest and most action-oriented pro digital SLR on the market (as of February 2001).

Using Nikon's 2.74-megapixels CCD and the camera's newly advanced image-processing algorithms, the D1H's high-quality action capability will clearly establish new standards of performance. The camera's IEEE-1394 image transfer system provides faster image processing and data transfer to Compact Flash Card media."

Other products announced at the same time:

Nikon D1X, FM3A, AF-S 300mm f/2.8D ED-IF II, AF 28-80mm f/3.3-5.6G, 45mm f/2.8P, SB-50DX.

Jarle
zzopit

Nikon D1, D1H long time user

Post by zzopit »

I have been using the D1 for years and had a D1H until I traded it away recently. These are great cameras, over 75,000 shots fired on the D1, 50 weddings and never in the shop. Yes, 2.7 MP looks weak on paper but just look at the results. When you need critical sharpness switch over to the raw-mode(s) and it is all the camera you need. I still it weekly. Nearly every non-AI lens that I own will mount up (be careful!), even a c1962 35mm F3.5 PC Nikkor and a crusty old AI'd 55/1.2

I am big fan of Adorama's (user: adorwin) Ebay deals. They post Nikon DSLRS every few weeks and I have seen D1s, D1Hs and D100s for $300 or so with the chargers. Add 2 batteries (same as the D2's) or about $30 on ebay.

Nice to have a $4000 camera eh?
ZZOPIT
LONG ISLAND NY
S2/F/F2/F3/F4/F5/D1
and lots of glass.