DS-565 'review' and sample shots

Discuss Nikon E2, E3 (incl. Fujix DS-505, 515 and 56x models), the original Nikon D1 and other discontinued Nikon DSLRs. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

DS-565 'review' and sample shots

Post by NikonWeb »

Fujix DS-565 (aka Nikon E3S) goes rockin':

A few sample shots and comments have now been published at http://www.nikonweb.com/ds565/

Jarle
Brian Sweeney

Post by Brian Sweeney »

Well I certainly lam looking forward to the E3 after reading this review.

BTW, your daughter is adorable.
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Thanks

Post by NikonWeb »

Thanks!

Looking forward to read your own comments when you've had a chance to play with your new camera :D

Jarle
Brian Sweeney

Post by Brian Sweeney »

Here is a link to the DS560/565 Product Brochure in PDF.

It was not easy to "google" across.

Download it while you can!

http://www.fujifilmsupport.com/spec_htm ... /ds560.pdf
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

So, what you're really saying is that the E3s is quite a bit more usable than the original E2. ;)

Well, that's nothing new in the product development business. Usually the every last variation of a given basic design will have evolved to the point where it's pretty nice. Unfortunately, the things always have a stigma from the (usually poor) first version to overcome.

So, by the time the E3 rolled around, no one wanted one because they had been exposed (uh, oh. Bad pun there.) to the E2.

Fortunately, Nikon had the D1 up their sleeve as well, and that proved to be a whole different story. :)

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer
Brian Sweeney

Post by Brian Sweeney »

I considered a Nikon E2 for work "way-back-when". The reduction optics were a plus, but the 8-bit/pixel limit and CCD resolution were behind Kodak at the time. In the end, I held out a few more years and picked up two D1x's. Two cameras and a battery of Micro-Nikkors (60,105,200, and 70-180) cost about the same as the DCS200.
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Post by NikonWeb »

Stan Disbrow wrote:So, what you're really saying is that the E3s is quite a bit more usable than the original E2. ;)
Hi Stan,

The E3S is faster (both aperture- and bufferwise) and includes some other improvements over the first E-models, but it's far from perfect. I don't think Nikon would have sold many more cameras, even if the E3S had been their first release.

I think Nikon's biggest mistake was to include an optical reducer (stealing valuable light and degrading image quality). Speed is usually more important than focal length (at least in a news camera):

You can always use a wider lens (up to a certain point, of course), but if you're stuck with f/4.8 (not to mention f/6.7) you will often miss your shot.

Again, it's easy to see why most photographers at the time preferred the Kodak models over the Nikon E-series.

Jarle