Nikon E3 with AI'd (Factory Converted) Lenses.

Discuss Nikon E2, E3 (incl. Fujix DS-505, 515 and 56x models), the original Nikon D1 and other discontinued Nikon DSLRs. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
Brian Sweeney

Nikon E3 with AI'd (Factory Converted) Lenses.

Post by Brian Sweeney »

I tested the E3 out with my wide-angle lenses yesterday and learned that the camera does not meter with AI converted lenses. AI converted lenses change-out the aperture ring for ones with AI ridges and ADR F-Stop scales. BUT they do not add the extra internal lugs that passes extra information on to the camera's meter. Those lugs went mostly unused with the first generation of AI cameras. My guess is that the E3 uses it to determine if the max F-Stop is greater or less than F4.8. The manual indicates the the internal aperture changes scale depending on the max aperture of the lens that is mounted.

The E3 is the first camera that I have had that will not meter with AI converted lenses! My 28mm F2 is a late-model, rubber-inset-focus ring that is factory AI-d. I'll be using the Weston Master II with it, the one that I use for the S3 and SP.
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

I'll have to see if my E2 meter works with AI'd lenses or not, in case we have an additional difference between the E2 and E3 here.

I have several AI'd lenses, and have used them with the E2 before, but never noticed if the meter was active or not. I use the E2 in a studio setting, and use an external meter with the camera in full manual mode.

I even have a couple NAI lenses I use with it, but, again, the same story applies and I don't even look at the internal meter....

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer