Nikon E2 Err troubleshooting (and fix)

Discuss Nikon E2, E3 (incl. Fujix DS-505, 515 and 56x models), the original Nikon D1 and other discontinued Nikon DSLRs. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

Nikon E2 Err troubleshooting (and fix)

Post by NikonWeb »

Yesterday, when shooting with my E2, the camera suddenly stopped working, and displayed an ominous Err error message on the LCD panel. I've seen this before with my DS-565 (E3S) and assumed in would be an easy fix: just turn the camera off/on, or switch the battery. But not this time.

According to the manual, the Err message means "camera detects a malfunction". I already guessed that. The remedy: "Bring the camera to a Nikon Service Center". Yeah, right.

Having switched the camera off and on several times, tried different batteries, I decided to try the ES-1 DC adapter. No luck. Then I decided to try the adapter's Bulb setting:

Having tried a couple of times (again, turning the camera off and on), I was finally able to trigger the camera in bulb mode. Switching back to battery, the camera is now fully operational again. Needless to say, I'm sure this solution won't solve every Err problem you may encounter, but it's worth a try.

Jarle