I've got it! Nikon QV-1000C!

Discuss Nikon E2, E3 (incl. Fujix DS-505, 515 and 56x models), the original Nikon D1 and other discontinued Nikon DSLRs. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
Stan Disbrow

Re: QV-1000C diskettes

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Webmaster wrote:'Video floppy disk' seems to be the correct name for these things. I'm surprised to see that they're still available on eBay and elsewhere on the web.

As far as I can tell (please correct me if I'm wrong) these disks are commonly labelled 'MP-50'. I think these are the same as Canon's VF-50 and Nikon's VF-10 disks. I'll probably get some MP-50's just to make sure :)

Jarle
Hi,

Yes, I've stumbled across the same information based on the photo of the diskette you e-mailed me. These things are the same disks used by the early Sony analog still video cameras.

The key is in the use of the Sony-trademarked 'VF' logo. I saw that in the photos, and then ran a search on the thing as a trademark and worked it backwards from there. So, you have lots and lots of disks available on eBay for the QV. How nice of Nikon to use a 'standard' item like that. :)

The 2" disks I have are, indeed, exactly like normal 3.5" computer diskettes, only smaller. It's like they were left in a pocket and run through the laundry - where they shrunk to 2". The main difference is that the data disks have metal drive hubs, not plastic, probably for tolerence reasons. They never became popular because they only held 500kB of data when the 3.5" ones held 1.44 MB and yet both styles fit into a shirt pocket. So, there was no advantage to the physical size over the data capacity.

Besides which, diskettes are dead and we're all using USB memory keys to transport data via sneakernet these days. ;)

As far as shot capacity, I see what they did. The thing needs two tracks to capture a frame, which is made up of two fields - remember that the original 480 line video signal is interlaced using two fields - so you get to choose between recording both fields for more resolution, or recording only one if that's all the resolution you need (and effectively doubling your storage).

I really like the size of the thing. It's cute! ;)

It's more along the size of what I was once expecting the various makers to come out with in the way of DSLRs - based on HD video camera chips, and using smaller interchangeable lenses. This was when the state-of-the-art was still 2 MP around the time that the original D1 came out.

The D1, of course, used a physically larger imager and, so, also used the larger 35mm system lenses. So, the rest is history.

I suppose the long series of delays for HDTV helped us get to where we are. We're only just getting there for HDTV, and it was originally supposed to all happen in the mid-1980's. Those delays just pushed the resoultion of still camera chips out way past what the video chips need to be, and that makes me *very* happy. :)

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

Sony MP-50 Video Floppy Disks

Post by NikonWeb »

Just bought a pack of 10 brand new Sony MP-50 Video Floppy disks on eBay. Winning bid: $9.99. That equals an impressive 250 'high-res' (i.e. frame mode) photos with the QV-1000C.

For comparison, I did a photo session this weekend, capturing approx. 1000 -- one thousand -- 12.4 megapixel D2X JPEG Fine photos on a single 4 gigabyte CF card. And I still had room for more.

Jarle
NIKON KIU

Re:QV-1000C image gallery

Post by NIKON KIU »

Webmaster wrote: I photographed myself (especially for you Kiu) and the camera in the mirror -- it's ok to admit it, we've all done it --
Thanks for the gallery Jarle,
I have to admit that I have done the same thing with one of my F2's :oops:
You said you have another :?: coming :!:
Seems to me you are infected with NAS and you are not going to be able to lay low :twisted:
Kiu
NIKON KIU

Re: Sony MP-50 Video Floppy Disks

Post by NIKON KIU »

Webmaster wrote:Just bought a pack of 10 brand new Sony MP-50 Video Floppy disks on eBay. Winning bid: $9.99. That equals an impressive 250 'high-res' (i.e. frame mode) photos with the QV-1000C.

For comparison, I did a photo session this weekend, capturing approx. 1000 -- one thousand -- 12.4 megapixel D2X JPEG Fine photos on a single 4 gigabyte CF card. And I still had room for more.

Jarle
But how much was the 4GB card,over $300 here in the US.I guess the faster one's are more....That amount of money can get you more than 300 floppies,BTW 3.5" floppies cost about the same or less.
Kiu
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Re:QV-1000C image gallery

Post by NikonWeb »

Thanks Kiu,

Yes, I'm working on a new deal, but unfortunately it's not another QV-1000C. That would be too easy :) More details later.

You're probably right: I am infected with NAS, but I must lay low after this one. I'm spending way too much time and money with this nonsense. Unfortunately, it's too much fun (is that even possible?). Very addictive. Don't try this at home, kids!

Jarle
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

NAS? What's that? Nikon Acqusition Syndrome? ;)

Sounds bad. like there's no cure for it.

I think I might be catching it. I'm trying to fight it off, though. Here's how it goes:

I've been contemplating bidding on that E3s/565 with the missing shutter button and on/off switch. :)

Now, I can't say as I need *another* 1.5 MP DSLR, so I'll skip it. :(

But, then, I might be able to (a) get it cheap and (b) fix it. :)

However, the *last* thing I need is a *busted* 1.5 MP DSLR, so I ought to skip the thing. :(

But, then, I might get it fixed and peddle it off to one of my Nikon collecting buddies. :)

However, I might be tempted to keep it if (a) I get it cheap enough and (b) can fix it. So, I should skip it. :(

Goto Step 1 and start over.

Does this mean that I, too, am catching this NAS disease????

Help!

Later!

Stan
Amateur Photographer
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Nikon Acqusition Syndrome

Post by NikonWeb »

Stan Disbrow wrote:NAS? What's that? Nikon Acqusition Syndrome?
Yes. Unfortunately, there's no known cure.

Sounds like you're catching it too :) Good luck!

Jarle
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

Dang.

OK, I submit. I bid on the silly thing. It has 11 hours to go......

Later!

Stan
Amateur Photographer
drummond93

Stan's right, NAS must be catching!

Post by drummond93 »

I bid on right after Stan did, didn't realize he was going to bid on it.... I'll not bid any more, so it's your's if you want it!

PS, if you do end up with it but can't fix it, I'll be interested in the mode select switch for parts (blue edged wheel at the back right ) mine's broken on my E3s.

Nathan
NikonWeb
Site Admin

QV-1000C video capture

Post by NikonWeb »

Just a quick update to let you know that I've successfully captured full resolution QV-1000C images from the QV-1010T transmitter's Video Out port.

The images were captured and digitized using a video capture card on a Windows XP PC.

I'll post some images later, but it hardly comes as a surprise that image quality is less than impressive. Nikon didn't call it a 'Still Video Camera' for nothing. That's exactly what this camera will deliver: a still video picture. Fortunately I didn't get the camera to produce high quality images :)

Jarle