Nikon E-series serial numbers

Discuss Nikon E2, E3 (incl. Fujix DS-505, 515 and 56x models), the original Nikon D1 and other discontinued Nikon DSLRs. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
Webmaster
Site Admin
Posts: 1005
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 4:12 pm
antispam: No
Location: Norway
Contact:

E3S 8200046

Post by Webmaster » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:52 pm

Ross_Alford wrote:I now have my eBay (US) E3s. It is in almost mint condition, and works. Hooray! Serial number 8200046, the first E3s on the list in that batch I think.
Hi Ross,

Yes, this is the first 82.. camera on record so far. The list has been updated.

Have fun!

Jarle

Ross_Alford
Posts: 100
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 1:10 pm
Location: Australia
Contact:

Post by Ross_Alford » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:45 pm

Found another serial number on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :B:SS:US:1

It is definitely an E2N, serial number 7100030

Starting bid $299 with charger and no other accessories, and in well-used condition. It will be interesting to see if it sells.

Cheers,
Ross

NIKON KIU
Posts: 327
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 9:25 pm
Location: Washington DC USA

Thanks for posting

Post by NIKON KIU » Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:01 am

Its good to know that members post these heads-up notices on this forum.
I don't have the E2n and I am interested, however @ $299 + $45.00 shippimg, I will take my chances and wait for a re-list with lower price.
I do think it will sell. Its a $300 camera that originally sold for over 10 grand!! Granted its missing a battery and some parts of the camera(door for the side, plug....) but there are lots of NHS "lurkers" around here
Kiu
PS I am glad you've slowed down Ross, This post deserved a topic of its own.
Lets talk Nikon

Ross_Alford
Posts: 100
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 1:10 pm
Location: Australia
Contact:

Post by Ross_Alford » Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:36 pm

Well, it's been relisted as a "Make an Offer" listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0052419032

It is missing the door for the ISO etc settings, the rubber cover for the video out port etc.

Might be worth an offer, if you don't have one already.

Cheers,
Ross

NIKON KIU
Posts: 327
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 9:25 pm
Location: Washington DC USA

Post by NIKON KIU » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:59 pm

Just for the record...the above sold for $310.00 tru "best offer" :o
Kiu
Lets talk Nikon

precertvideo
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:34 am
antispam: No
Location: England

Post by precertvideo » Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:38 pm

Hi,

The E2 I won on ebay arrived today-Ser. no. 5400006 - The same one sold in Feb. 2006 on ebay (see first entry in this post)

For record I paid £119 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :IT&ih=004 and it seems to work.
DCS serial no. survey
RC-760, EOS-1D & Ds Mk I, II, III, EOS*DCS-3, 5, DCS, DCS-200ci, 420, 460, D1, D1H & X, D2H & X, E2, F, F2, F3, F4, MVC-2000, 5000, 7000, RD-175, 3000, EF 50mm f/1.0, Audi S2, Porsche 911, GSX-R1000 K9

precertvideo
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:34 am
antispam: No
Location: England

Re: Making sense out of these numbers

Post by precertvideo » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:43 pm

NIKON KIU wrote:I wonder if there are duplicate numbers between the two brands,from what we have here it looks like that is not the case.
and we have consecutives already :!: :!: :!:
I am excited :shock:
Kiu
There are a couple of duplicates on the list

-9100024 listed twice as an E3s and a DS-565
-5200028 listed twice as an E2s and a DS-515

though these are the same underneath-is this dual listing correct-I thought they only had one model number on them, not two.
DCS serial no. survey
RC-760, EOS-1D & Ds Mk I, II, III, EOS*DCS-3, 5, DCS, DCS-200ci, 420, 460, D1, D1H & X, D2H & X, E2, F, F2, F3, F4, MVC-2000, 5000, 7000, RD-175, 3000, EF 50mm f/1.0, Audi S2, Porsche 911, GSX-R1000 K9

Stan Disbrow
Posts: 562
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 7:33 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC USA

Post by Stan Disbrow » Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:56 pm

Hi,

With e-Bay listings as the source, I can see where a Fuji model might not sell and then be re-listed as the Nikon model. More folks search for things Nikon than things Fuji being the idea here.

After all, if someone is trying to sell something on e-Bay, they're most interested in getting the largest audience possible to then get the most dough possible, right? :P

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer

Webmaster
Site Admin
Posts: 1005
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 4:12 pm
antispam: No
Location: Norway
Contact:

Re: Making sense out of these numbers

Post by Webmaster » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:12 pm

precertvideo wrote:-5200028 listed twice as an E2s and a DS-515

though these are the same underneath-is this dual listing correct-I thought they only had one model number on them, not two.
This particular duplicate (5200028) has been discussed before:

viewtopic.php?t=54

Jarle

NIKON KIU
Posts: 327
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 9:25 pm
Location: Washington DC USA

Re: Making sense out of these numbers

Post by NIKON KIU » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:58 am

precertvideo wrote:
There are a couple of duplicates on the list

-9100024 listed twice as an E3s and a DS-565
-5200028 listed twice as an E2s and a DS-515

though these are the same underneath-is this dual listing correct-I thought they only had one model number on them, not two.
Oooops, I missed this new twist!
In the case of 5200028 we did see two cameras show up on ebay within a month of each other, the first one(E2N)was offered with two lenses(June of 2005) and it didn't sell but the second camera(ds-515) came on a few weeks afterwards(July of 2005) and did sell,both Jarle and I asked for the serial numbers and got pictures from the seller. I don't recall if any of these two cameras were sold to any members here and I don't rmember the first one being offerd again.
At the time we even discussed it in the thread Jarle mentioned above but couldn't reach a conclusion.
But that was almost two years ago!
We now have over fifty numbers.
The addition of the second duplicate number 9100024 makes it clear that they do exist in duplicate numbers!! I clearly remember the camera from Texas Offered on ebay back in July and the other one belongs to a forum member(drummond93 :wink: ).....Interesting.
I am glad someone looked closer....hoooray.

Has anyone compared the Serial number stickers between the two brands?
Its one of the main differences between the two cameras save for the red stripe 8)

Kiu
Lets talk Nikon

spreefurt
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:02 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Making sense out of these numbers

Post by spreefurt » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:15 pm

precertvideo wrote: There are a couple of duplicates on the list

-9100024 listed twice as an E3s and a DS-565
-5200028 listed twice as an E2s and a DS-515

though these are the same underneath-is this dual listing correct-I thought they only had one model number on them, not two.
I mentioned it already earlier in this thread.
NIKON KIU wrote:The addition of the second duplicate number 9100024 makes it clear that they do exist in duplicate numbers!! I clearly remember the camera from Texas Offered on ebay back in July and the other one belongs to a forum member(drummond93 :wink: ).....Interesting.
I am glad someone looked closer....hoooray.
No, it is not sure. Always mistakes are possible. It is unlikely that the serial numbers were counted separately:
1. Obviously the Fujixes and the Nikons were produced by the same manufacturer.
2. As far as I know Nikon never used a system of serial numbers like this. This means: The Fujixes and Nikons were probably not produced by Nikon.
3. If 2 parallel serial number systems had been used, for the Nikons probably a typical Nikon serial number system would have been used.

Webmaster
Site Admin
Posts: 1005
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 4:12 pm
antispam: No
Location: Norway
Contact:

Re: Making sense out of these numbers

Post by Webmaster » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:54 pm

spreefurt wrote:No, it is not sure. Always mistakes are possible. It is unlikely that the serial numbers were counted separately
Actually, regarding no. 5200028, I'm pretty sure I have seen both Nikon E2S and Fujix DS-515 bodies with this exact serial number.

I have a photo of the bottom plate (incl. serial number) of the Nikon body, and I'm pretty sure I saw photos of the Fujix bottom plate as well. Unfortunately, I no longer have the Fujix photos (I think I was travelling, and never downloaded this particular message to my home computer - very annoying). I still have the e-mail address and some other messages from the seller (who sent me the lost photos).

I've written both the seller and buyer of the Fujix body and asked if they can help (i.e. send new photos), but it's been a while since the camera was sold (a year and a half), so I'm not too optimistic. I'm still waiting for an answer.

Jarle

spreefurt
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:02 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Making sense out of these numbers

Post by spreefurt » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:01 am

Webmaster wrote: Actually, regarding no. 5200028, I'm pretty sure I have seen both Nikon E2S and Fujix DS-515 bodies with this exact serial number.

I have a photo of the bottom plate (incl. serial number) of the Nikon body, and I'm pretty sure I saw photos of the Fujix bottom plate as well. Unfortunately, I no longer have the Fujix photos (I think I was travelling, and never downloaded this particular message to my home computer - very annoying). I still have the e-mail address and some other messages from the seller (who sent me the lost photos).

I've written both the seller and buyer of the Fujix body and asked if they can help (i.e. send new photos), but it's been a while since the camera was sold (a year and a half), so I'm not too optimistic. I'm still waiting for an answer.
We don't have enough serial numbers for judging about that. If a double serial number accures only once or twice and also if this double serial numbers are proven for each real case, the possibility of numbering errors at production remains.

And we don't have enough serial numbers for judging about total production numbers of each type. We only have the total number of all Nikon E and Fujix together. If we had more numbers, it could be possible to recognize, if multiple serial numbers are possible.

NIKON KIU
Posts: 327
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 9:25 pm
Location: Washington DC USA

Post by NIKON KIU » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:39 am

About a year and half ago when we started collecting numbers, we had less than 20...now its over 50
Have patience...we'll get more numbers,time is on our side. This could take years or may be decades.

Kiu
Lets talk Nikon

AvanEijk
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:06 am

Post by AvanEijk » Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:52 am

Hi,

I own the Nikon E3S with serialnumber: 8300053.
It was bought yesterday by on a marketplace on the internet in The Netherlands for the amount of € 175,-.

I don't know if the price is right but i love this classic.


Best regards,

Bram

Post Reply