Rebuild old camera batteries

Discuss Nikon E2, E3 (incl. Fujix DS-505, 515 and 56x models), the original Nikon D1 and other discontinued Nikon DSLRs. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

Rebuild old camera batteries

Post by NikonWeb »

Searching for a replacement battery for my QV-1000C, I came across a local company that will instead rebuild my old batteries.

Apparently, many companies will now offer such services. This may be common knowledge, but it was good news to me :)

This particular company will replace the battery cells with new ones for about $60 (incl. Norwegian VAT). The rebuilt battery even comes with a one year warranty.

This is probably less expensive than a brand new Nikon battery would cost (if it was still available, which it isn't), and the new replacement cells should be better than the old cells made some 17 years ago.

Special thanks to Stan for providing valuable technical support :)

Jarle
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

Here in the States, there is a chain of battery specialty stores called Batteries Plus. They sell all sorts of vehicle, equipment (i.e. tractors) and electronics batteries, plus (uh, oh, bad pun there) they will rebuild custom packs like the E-series, QV, etc.

If you have an old unit that uses NiCd cells, make sure to have them rebuilt with NiCd cells, and not NiMH ones. The reason is that NiMH cells need a more sophisticated charger to ensure that they're not overcharged at all. Most of these old chragers, like the QV and E2 ones are no good for NiMH. Of course, the E3 changed to NiMH, so this won't apply to the E3 (well I think all the E3 units shipped with NiMH, anyway).

If a NiMH is overcharged, it will produce gases that will pressurize the cells and pop the safety vents. This will, at the least, dry out the cells and drastically shorten their life. At worst, the cell will actually pop and spit out caustic goo, which is not a good thing at all.

Also, when getting new cells, it's best to go with the more costly name brand cells (Sanyo, Union Carbide, etc). They will last a lot longer and are well worth the extra few bucks. :)

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer