ANOTHER FUJIX

Discuss Nikon E2, E3 (incl. Fujix DS-505, 515 and 56x models), the original Nikon D1 and other discontinued Nikon DSLRs. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
NIKON KIU

ANOTHER FUJIX

Post by NIKON KIU »

I notice that more fujix versions pop up on e bay than the Nikon version
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 7532548962
any takers?
otherwise......
Kiu
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

Interesting seller. It's a new guy with several auctions, most of which don't go together (like a Fujix DS-515 and a Starrett firing pin gauge). Looks like someone buying up surplus stuff and trying to make a few bucks selling it piecemeal on eBay.

I'm not interested, although I see where it has the original box, which is uncommon....

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

Re: ANOTHER FUJIX

Post by NikonWeb »

I noticed the same thing. New seller and original box included. DS-515 is the same as Nikon's E2S. Not too many of those around.

I've asked for the serial number. Will be interesting to compare with the three E2S numbers already on record (this will be the first DS-515 number I've seen).

I've bought way too much stuff lately and am not going to bid on this one..

Any news about your latest purchase Stan?

Jarle
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Re: ANOTHER FUJIX

Post by NikonWeb »

Seller's reply:

'The Serial Number is 5200028. The camera was purchased from the Department of Defense, SPAWAR C4I Programs, Philadelphia PA.'

Jarle
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Identical serial numbers!

Post by NikonWeb »

We now have two identical serial numbers!

E2S 5200028
DS-515 5200028

I'll now have to check where I got that first one, to make sure it's not the same unit (could be a mix-up with Nikon/Fujix model numbers).

Jarle
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Re: Identical serial numbers!

Post by NikonWeb »

Webmaster wrote: I'll now have to check where I got that first one, to make sure it's not the same unit (could be a mix-up with Nikon/Fujix model numbers).
First one: 'Nikon E2S Professional Digital Camera & Accessories' listed on eBay in June:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 7522076467

Second one: 'FUJIX - NIKON DS 515 PROFESSIONAL DIGITAL CAMERA' listed in July:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 7532548962

Same model (E2S/DS-515), different brands (Nikon/Fujix), identical serial numbers.

Jarle
NIKON KIU

INTERESTING

Post by NIKON KIU »

That makes it real interesting,the first one didn't sell and it definitly has the red stripe.
That means you can have the same camera in two different brands(not) with the same serial number!!
Thats a collectors dream.
Now I am outbid,so here goes a bidding war :D
Kiu
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

Stand back! Bidding war in progress!

At least, *I* am standing back. I mean, both brands with the same serial number. How odd. I'd have thought that the prefixes would be different by brand. Shows how much I know. ;)

No, no time to play with the busted E3 yet. I was even over at the shop Tuesday evening fixing an unhappy network bridge and forgot to grab the E2, which was sitting right in the next room. Sigh. Of course, I need the E2 to pop the power switch out of to even see if the E3 powers up.

At least I managed to bring one of the E2 battery packs back to life, so I have a power source for it. :)

Later!

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer
drummond93

Caution.... Suspicious of seller/ auction/ scam potential.

Post by drummond93 »

I'd offer a note of caution here.... seller has 0 feedback, and could trying to scam an auction using different pictures and information taken off the web. Although a camera like this isn't a real high-value item, I've know of more expensive items being sold once, then a few weeks later the apparent "same" item being shown for sale AGAIN but by a Different seller
-sometimes using the original pictures lifted from the original sale. Often the seller doesn't even have the real item, they just want the buyer to send them money and then they're never heard of again. I realize this auction is for a different camera (Fujix vs the Nikon ) w/ different pictures, but again not impossible.

I can't confirm it, but it's possible that this seller has scavenged our web posting for the serial number/ origin (-notice, he says the original seller was Naval Spawar in Pennsylvania, just like the original ebay listing!) I seriously doubt it has the same serial number- I have both Nikon and Fujix versions, and I'll have to check but I don't think they use the same numbering sequence. Also, the last couple of E2's sold at Gov't surplus from the depot at Mechanicsburg, PA went for almost $500 a piece (overpriced, by the way) but I can't see someone selling them again w/ no reserve for under that purchase price (additionally, they would have had to pay to ship the camera to AZ)

PS, the 1st auction didn't meet reserve, so I don't think this is the 1st auction camera at all or the original buyer reselling it .

I'm always open to being corrected... of course, it is possible that Nikon and Fujix did have similar serial numbers, .... but I still am doubtful.
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Re: Caution.... Suspicious of seller/ auction/ scam potentia

Post by NikonWeb »

drummond93 wrote:I'm always open to being corrected... of course, it is possible that Nikon and Fujix did have similar serial numbers, .... but I still am doubtful.
Well.. So am I.

I find it strange that Nikon and Fujix would share the same serial numbers, *and* that two identical numbers should be offered on eBay within a month of each other. What are the odds?

Be careful.

Jarle
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Re: Caution.... Suspicious of seller/ auction/ scam potentia

Post by NikonWeb »

drummond93 wrote:notice, he says the original seller was Naval Spawar in Pennsylvania, just like the original ebay listing
Which original eBay listing are you referring to? I can't find this mentioned in the June listing?

Jarle
NIKON KIU

FUJIX

Post by NIKON KIU »

Well,I asked him to e mail me pictures of the bottom!
It could be that this is the guy that offerd the other guy $1200.00 for the package and now separating the items. :roll: just kidding.
But seriously,lets consider that we only have twenty some numbers and if the production was even one thousand cameras then we still need to colllect more numbers to verify this.
Its possible that the seller with the two lenses e mailed the wrong number too,typo :?:
I would be surprised as well if there are duplicate numbers :!: engraving error :?:
Either way I still don't have anybody on this forum wanting it so I AM NOT LETTING THIS ONE GO CHEAP :twisted:
Kiu
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Re: FUJIX

Post by NikonWeb »

NIKON KIU wrote:Its possible that the seller with the two lenses e mailed the wrong number too,typo
Of course. Could be a typo from one of the sellers. Or from both, for that matter. I've asked for some base plate photos as well. We'll see.

Jarle
drummond93

mistake on seller info

Post by drummond93 »

Jarle, my mistake, only the 2nd listing discusses buying it from Naval Spawar ... I got the 2 auctions mixed up.

However, comparing my E2s serial numbers (5100035 and 520007) I'm still doubtful/ suspicious that the Fujix version would be numbered the same 5200xx series.... my Fujix 505a's are numbered in the 73000xx series, not the 51000xx or 52000xx group.
NIKON KIU

Pictures arrived

Post by NIKON KIU »

I got the pictures from the seller and this one is definitly 5200028
Kiu