DS 515 memory cards etc?

Discuss Nikon E2, E3 (incl. Fujix DS-505, 515 and 56x models), the original Nikon D1 and other discontinued Nikon DSLRs. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
Jheinz

DS 515 memory cards etc?

Post by Jheinz »

hi again , now im on to memory card issues !!
will the ds 515 ONLY use a type 2 pcmcia card? or has anyone tried successfully to use a type 3 card ? aslo how about a compact flash card in a pcmcia adapter? just wondering before i experiment ! no sense in reiventing the wheel
thanks

jim
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

It'll take a Type-I or a Type-II PCMCIA Card. The Type-III is way too thick to fit.

You can't use a CF card in an adapter. The camera won't read it. You need one of the old PCMCIA ATA Hi-Speed Flash cards smaller than 128 MB. Ebay is probably your best bet for one of those.

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer
Jheinz

size ?

Post by Jheinz »

why smaller than 128MB is that the limit ?
also
maybe a little list from people , with what cards they use that work ?
brand modle etc?
may make it easier for me and anyone looking to search this things up
thanks

jim
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

Re: DS 515 memory cards etc?

Post by NikonWeb »

Hi Jim,

CF cards in a PCMCIA adapter will not work with the older E2's (i.e. Fujix DS-505/515 models), but it will work with E3 (DS-560/565) cameras.

Take a look at this thread: E2/E3 memory cards

Jarle
Jheinz

card size limit

Post by Jheinz »

what if you use a card bigger than 128mb will it work and not see the aditional memory ? or not work at all
thanks
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Re: card size limit

Post by NikonWeb »

Jheinz wrote:what if you use a card bigger than 128mb will it work and not see the aditional memory ? or not work at all
If I remember correctly it won't work at all.

Jarle
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

On the E2, large memory cards won't work at all, giving a card error. At the time, the largest card available was 48 meg, and the one that shipped with the E2 was 15 meg. The largest one I have that works with my E2 is 96 meg - my 128 meg is useless.

The E3 came along a few years later, and by that time larger cards were available, so they changed the memory subsystem microcode to address more space. Also by this time the CF cards were available, so those work in adapters as well. I have not run a series of cards in my E3 yet to determine the upper card size limit, but would suspect it to be 512 MB.....

If you take a hard look at the E3 vs the E2, you'll soon come to the realization that a complete redesign had been done in an attempt to make the E3 acceptable with a wider range of professional shooters than the E2 had been. Of course, this was short-lived, since the D1 follows the E3 out the door in fairly short order. :)

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer
NikonWeb
Site Admin

E3 series maximum 512 MB

Post by NikonWeb »

Stan Disbrow wrote:I have not run a series of cards in my E3 yet to determine the upper card size limit, but would suspect it to be 512 MB.....
I think you're right Stan. My DS-565 (E3S) will accept 512 MB Ridata CF cards (using a standard Canon PCMCIA adapter), but it will not read 1 GB cards.

Jarle
Jheinz

memory cards

Post by Jheinz »

so where does that put the DS 515? the same as a E2? with 96 being the max?
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Re: memory cards

Post by NikonWeb »

Jheinz wrote:so where does that put the DS 515? the same as a E2? with 96 being the max?
Yes.

Jarle