PCMCIA card problem

Discuss Nikon E2, E3 (incl. Fujix DS-505, 515 and 56x models), the original Nikon D1 and other discontinued Nikon DSLRs. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
Jheinz

PCMCIA card problem

Post by Jheinz »

i have a sandisk 96mb pcmcia card which i assume is compatable with the DS-515 but i either cant or dont know how to format it it just keeps saying "change " no matter what i do

coould someone explain what i am supposed to do , or tellme what the problem could be
thanks
jh
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

Re: PCMCIA card problem

Post by NikonWeb »

Hard to tell. Can be a card issue, a camera issue, or both. A few things you can check:

- Is the card working with other equipment, e.g. can you access it from your computer? If you can't, it's probably a card problem.

- If you're able to access the card from your PC, try to format it. (I'm not sure how/if this works if you're on a Mac)

- Have you tried another card with the camera? If this doesn't work, it's probably a camera issue (but it doesn't have to be -- both cards can be defective)

Jarle
nikonnl

PCMCIA

Post by nikonnl »

I think it's the camera-card relation which doens't fit/work. Try a CF card via a CF-PCMCIA converter (cost around 15 dollars). I use them in my 420 and in my older laptop. Better to format CF-card in a PC, not in the camera. Don't ask me why, but here it works.
Nico
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

There are a couple of compatibility issues with these cameras and memory cards.

Basically, you need to have 5v flash (all the current stuff is 3.3v) and it needs to have an obscure 'hi-speed' pin asserted or it won't work.

The ironic part is that all the newer flash memory is much faster than the old stuff, yet doesn't have that magic 'hi-speed' pin asserted, which is why you can't get a CF card in a PCMCIA adapter to work.

All I've ever found to work are the old 5v ATA 'Hi-Speed' (marked as such) PCMCIA cards. Fortunately, they are still found on eBay. :)

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer