Windows 7 security problem fix

Discuss non-DSLR models (e.g. Coolpix cameras), other camera brands, your latest cool photography gadget, computer stuff and other photography related issues that don't fit in the Vintage Kodak and Nikon DSLR forums.
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

Windows 7 security problem fix

Post by NikonWeb »

For future reference (hello Google!):

I've just experienced an extremely annoying problem when trying to access a removable hard drive from a new Windows 7 system. Long story short: when trying to open an image file, I got this error message:

"Photo gallery can't open this picture because you do not have permission to access the file location".

I was still able to copy the file(s) to another drive and open them, but browsing thousands of images, this was not a practical solution, to say the least. I was able to set permissions and access a single file at a time, but finding a way to change the ownership and permissions for an entire disk was surprisingly difficult. So, for future reference, here it is: I fixed everything by running the following two commands from an elevated command prompt (i.e. "run as administrator"):

takeown /R /F *

icacls *.* /reset /T /C

This will take ownership and permissions for all folders and files located below the current folder. Just make sure that the root folder (e.g. e:\photos or whatever) has the correct owner and security permissions. The solution - which worked perfectly - is described in more detail here: http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vista ... -need.html

Jarle