NikonWeb: Free, portable IPTC preset editor (D4 users)

Discuss non-DSLR models (e.g. Coolpix cameras), other camera brands, your latest cool photography gadget, computer stuff and other photography related issues that don't fit in the Vintage Kodak and Nikon DSLR forums.
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

NikonWeb: Free, portable IPTC preset editor (D4 users)

Post by NikonWeb »

A free, portable Windows and Mac program for editing Nikon IPTC preset files (.NMS).

Unfortunately, Nikon's own IPTC Preset Manager requires Microsoft Silverlight, which may be a deal breaker for many users, due to IT policy restrictions, etc.

This stand-alone Windows and Mac program consists of a single executable file, and does not require any admin rights or other special privileges. It will not alter your system in any way. Files created with this program are identical to those created by Nikon's own IPTC Preset Manager (ver 1.0).

http://www.nikonweb.com/iptceditor/

There are probably not many D4 users around here (not yet, anyway), but feedback is always welcome :)

Jarle
Last edited by NikonWeb on Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:06 am, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Now available for both Windows and Mac OS X.
gsandberg

Re: NikonWeb: Free, portable IPTC preset editor (D4 users)

Post by gsandberg »

Jarle,

I am not one of the many (grin) D4 users, but interested in most things Nikon.

I have been wondering about the IPTC presets that can be defined in the current Nikon ViewNX/Transfer software.
Under the ViewNX/Transfer the defined presets can be exchanged / edited (including ViewNX release 1).

Nikon's IPTC software offers no exchange from ViewNX/Transfer to the dedicated IPTC editor.

If you might want to offer an exchange option (e.g. import Transfer's presets into your editor).
On my Win-7-64bit PC the presets are stored in the registry under:
... Common XMP IPTCPreset Presetn (numbered 1...) StringData.

Regards, Gilbert
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Post by NikonWeb »

Thanks Gilbert,

Shouldn't be too difficult to implement, but I'm not convinced many people will actually use it. Still, I'll keep it in mind for a (possible) future version..

Jarle
gsandberg

Post by gsandberg »

Jarle,
You made your version of the software, so controlling it is at your discretion.
Mine was just a hint that some users may find useful (and I found lacking also in the originial Nikon version).
Regards, Gilbert

PS please do not ask me how to implement it (let alone a Mac version, I am a Win-7-64 user).