Useful iPad tools

Discuss non-DSLR models (e.g. Coolpix cameras), other camera brands, your latest cool photography gadget, computer stuff and other photography related issues that don't fit in the Vintage Kodak and Nikon DSLR forums.
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

Useful iPad tools

Post by NikonWeb »

With an increasing number of high quality apps, the iPad has become a serious photographic tool, even for professionals. Here's a quick list of my favorite photography related apps:

Filterstorm
A de facto standard for photojournalists. Filterstorm does image editing, captioning (IPTC) and transmission (FTP, SFTP, Dropbox, Flickr, etc). There's also a pro version with batch features.

Photogene
Perhaps my current favorite. Includes most (all?) features found in Filterstorm and then some. I also like the interface better. Again, there's a pro version with even more features.

Snapseed
A different kind of editor with misc filter presets (B/W, Vintage films, Drama, Tilt-shift, etc) in addition to basic contrast, exposure, sharpening, etc. Perhaps a bit more amateurish than the first two, but it's fun and easy to work with.

Pinnacle Studio
There's a small learning curve, but this is probably the best video editor available for the iPad right now. A must have app for video work.

Video compressor
The name says it all - this simplistic app creates smaller files. Very useful when transmitting video from the field. (iPhone app, but it works perfect with the iPad as well)

PhotoSync
If you're only transmitting files using FTP, Filterstorm or Photogene is all you need, but PhotoSync can do even more. Send files to practically any service you can imagine. I use it to backup files to Smugmug and to my main PC.

To transfer images from your Compact flash card (too bad there's no iPad reader for the D4's XQD cards yet), I use this third party device: http://store.micgadget.com/card-readers ... n-kit.html

Finally, three other must-have apps: Dropbox, Goodreader and Evernote. Any other goodies I've missed?

Jarle