NikonWeb.com DCS File Converter ver 0.2

Discuss older Nikon-based Kodak digital SLRs, including DCS 100, DCS 200, NC2000, DCS 400/600/700-series, etc. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

NikonWeb.com DCS File Converter ver 0.2

Post by NikonWeb »

As discussed in another thread, Kodak's DCS file format module doesn't work with Photoshop CS3, and Kodak Photo Desk cannot read files from the old DCS cameras. Unfortunately, Kodak can no longer help:

"Please be aware that Kodak has discontinued all support for the older models like the DCS 4xx cameras. Having said that, we would suggest looking for stand-alone graphic file converter software."

There are a few programs that can read the old DCS files, but they're often expensive and/or difficult to use (you need to download and install special support files, etc.)

So.. I spent a few hours and wrote the following piece of software (sorry, Windows only). Nothing fancy, but it works:

DOWNLOAD: NikonWeb.com DCS File Converter (2.1 MB)

Readme.txt:

NikonWeb.com DCS File Converter
ver 0.2 - October 2008

Free software to convert proprietary Kodak DCS TIFF and DCR files to ordinary TIFF, PSD or JPEG files.

The program is very simple to use:

1) Select the files you want to convert (select multiple files by pressing the CTRL key) or click on the Select All button to select all files in a folder.

2) Select the output format (TIFF, PSD or JPEG) in the Settings tab and specify a file name prefix

3) Click on the Convert Selected Files button.

The converted files will be saved in the same folder as the original files, but with the specified file name prefix and correct file extension (.jpg for JPEG files, and so on).

Supported camera models
------------------------

DCS 3xx, DCS 4xx, DCS 5xx, DCS 6xx, EOS Series, and NC2000 cameras

(Using the following Kodak support files: pdc_sdk.dll, ekfpixjpeg140.dll, profire.dll)

DCS 7xx, DCS Pro Back, 14N, and SCS 2000 cameras

(Using the following Kodak support files: DCSProBack.dll, DCSPro3SLR.dll, DCSPro4SLR.dll)

DISCLAIMER
-----------

This is unsupported, AS-IS software. Use at your own risk.

This software is written by Jarle Aasland, and uses Kodak's own DCS support files and PolyImagePro by Larry Reeve. You may freely distribute and share this program, but you cannot charge anything for doing so.
Last edited by NikonWeb on Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:10 am, edited 4 times in total.
Thomas998

Post by Thomas998 »

Many thanks...
NikonWeb
Site Admin

DCS Converter ver 0.2

Post by NikonWeb »

New version with two additional features:

Apply auto levels
Apply auto contrast

Using these settings will, in some cases, dramatically improve image quality. In other cases they may do the opposite. You'll need to experiment to find the best combination (try none, one at the time, and both in combination).

Please notice that the program will never, under any circumstance, overwrite an existing file on your system. In other words, you'll need to specify a different file name prefix or delete/move previously converted files before testing a different auto levels/contrast setting.

Also, here's the new, permanent home page for the program:

http://www.nikonweb.com/DCS_convert/

User feedback appreciated.

Jarle
Bas

Re: NikonWeb.com DCS File Converter ver 0.2

Post by Bas »

Searching for a new old digital camera to add to my collection and setting my mind to a Kodak DCS620 or 720, I noticed your note on the file formats. I have the same issue with the Minolta RD-175 (I'm on a Mac). But I have found a solution: VueScan. It is supposed to work with the Kodak files as well (http://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/vuescan.htm#rawfiles ). I don't know the quality you will get, but the results with the Minolta are looking good. So that is an option maybe (though you have to pay for the software instead of your nice freeware software). One of the photos I made with the RD-175 and edited with Vuescan can be seen here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/basdemeije ... hotostream
nikonnl

Post by nikonnl »

Hi friends,
you may try PhotoStacker PRO 1.10, once (1994) made by Ultima Electronics. It is a simple software opening nearly everything (except NEF), working under various Windows (from 3.1.1. up to XP) and free to get. I can sent it per email as it is just 3 Mb. I use it for older image files etc. I am visiting a camera fair near the German border this weekend, so mail me on monday if you want a copy.
Regards,
Nico

www.nicovandijk.net
D1/D1X/D1H/D2H/D2X etc.
Bas

Post by Bas »

Just did a test with my DCS420 and I am happy with the results:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/basdemeije ... 476684344/

All photos imported with Vuescan and I did just a minor edit in Photoshop. For the convenience I converted the original photos to DNG.
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Post by NikonWeb »

Bas wrote: I have the same issue with the Minolta RD-175 (I'm on a Mac). But I have found a solution: VueScan.
You can also convert RD-175 files using dcraw, described here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=328

Jarle
Ross_Alford

Re: DCS file converter and rd-175

Post by Ross_Alford »

Jarle, thanks for putting together the converter, its great to have another easy to use option

Re the rd-175, you can cut files from a memory card and paste them onto your hard drive (frees the space on the memory card) then run the original Minolta software and tell it to read files. This works fine in Win XP under parallels on an Intel Mac, and i think the Minolta software does much better conversions than Dcraw. I havent tried Viewscan yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if its conversion engine is based on dcraw, so it may not be as good as the Minolta software. I'll have to try it though, I use it for scanning and really like it.
atlas

Post by atlas »

I'm having some difficulty using the file converter.
It seemed to install correctly and it can view my files when I open it, but when I click "Convert Selected Files", it doesn't do anything.
Is there something I'm missing?
My operating system is Windows 7 64 bit.