Issues about E2N

Discuss Nikon E2, E3 (incl. Fujix DS-505, 515 and 56x models), the original Nikon D1 and other discontinued Nikon DSLRs. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
nausee
antispam: No

Re: Issues about E2N

Post by nausee »

the IBM Solid State File 80Mb PC card ordered from ebay works on E2N. I am happy now.

There is still one tiny problem with my E2N, the battery chamber doesn't lock the battery or AC adapter well enough. I have to push it upward constantly to make it keep in contact.
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Post by NikonWeb »

nausee wrote:There is still one tiny problem with my E2N, the battery chamber doesn't lock the battery or AC adapter well enough. I have to push it upward constantly to make it keep in contact.
Glad you found a working memory card. Seems like the IBM "Solid State File" PCMCIA cards are pretty safe. Regarding the battery chamber, I have the same issue with one or two of my own cameras. Not sure if there's anything you can do about it. My first thought was to adjust the springs in the battery compartment, but that's not an option (since there are no springs!). Anyone else?

Jarle
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

Interesting. I think I have some of those IBM PC flash cards somewhere. I had not thought of those until I read that they work for other folks in the E2. How ironic if I've been sitting on a box of these things all along? I have a Spring Cleaning plan to reorganize all my workshops, including the electronics shop, which means I will be going thru each and every box. Once I pull it all out, I'll rebox it with labels and put it on new shelves precisely so I can find this stuff when I want it!

In the meantime, I ran a quick search on eBay looking for the IBM cards to see if I recognized their labels or not. I didn't find any, but did trip across a bunch of the old IBM 16/4 Token Ring PC cards - something I was part of the development of.

I have to say that is always good for producing an odd feeling - seeing something I worked on so long ago and had forgotten all about!

I'll keep my eyes peeled for those cards. I have a list of pre-programmed eBay searches so I added these cards to the list. It's easy enough to take a look for some every 5 or so days.

I also wonder if the Cisco cards I see out there would work as well. What the IBM card was used for, as I recall, is pretty much the same device that Cisco used their cards in. I now wish I'd kept the original E2 just to have for a memory card tester. If I had, I'd buy one of those Cisco cards to see....

later!

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer
nausee

Post by nausee »

Stan, ebay item no. 110494162462 is what I bought.
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Post by NikonWeb »

Not that it matters much, but I wonder if it's a real IBM card? No company logo, just a plain text IBM copyright notice on the back. Anyway, $7.10 for a 80 MB memory card, confirmed working with the E2N, sounds like an ok deal to me. I may get one of these myself (according to the seller: "more than 10 available").

Jarle
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

Well, it's an IBM card from IBM Japan. I was able to verify the P/N on the back label. It was originally used internally in a Ethernet smart router from the looks of things.

We used a same-sized card in a similar function device we developed in IBM Kingston, NY just before the end of that site. My cards, if I find I have some still, had the usual IBM logo on the front and a different P/N, but I bet real money that they are the same cards. We didn't design the things, but bought them from a vendor like so much else.

I do know that what we used was 'fast flash' compared to what was generally available in that era. Now, if they were fast enough for the E2, I do not know. My stuff is from the early 1990's and the E2 was later than that, so those old cards might not actually be fast enough.....

These IBM Japan cards are several years newer by the P/N on the card. IBM had this idea that our part numbers had to tell us where it was from and then the sequence can be used to tell the relative age. So, when I see an IBM part number, I can generally decode it back to the IBM site and year and quarter when the number was assigned. :)

later!

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer