SS-E300 cable wanted!

Discuss Nikon E2, E3 (incl. Fujix DS-505, 515 and 56x models), the original Nikon D1 and other discontinued Nikon DSLRs. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
nikonnl
antispam: No

SS-E300 cable wanted!

Post by nikonnl »

Hi friends,
I am looking for an SS-E300 cable (part of an optional SCSI Kit) with a full-pitch 50 pin male connector to connect a Nikon Coolpix 300 to a PC.
Offers please via my website www.nicovandijk.net
Thanks in advance.
Nico
D1/D1X/D1H/D2H/D2X etc.
Stan Disbrow

Re: SS-E300 cable wanted!

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

So, you want the actual Nikon cable, or just one that will work?

I do not have any form of Nikon-branded SCSI cable.

I do, however, have SCSI cables with the big, fat (what I think you mean by full-pitch) 50-pin connector that was borrowed from telephone equipment on one end. I have several options for the other end, from the matching big, fat 50-pin to the DB-25 that Macs used and several others.

Now, you might not want one of my cables, given what we know it costs to ship from me to you! :P

But, if I have something that works, you know you're welcome to it!

later!

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Post by NikonWeb »

Here's a nice overview of different SCSI connectors: http://www.ramelectronics.net/scsi_connectors.ep

(I spent a long time studying these when I tried to make my Kodak DCS kit work..)

Jarle
nikonnl

Post by nikonnl »

Hi Stan! Thanks for your reply.
I know the shipping fees, yes they can be very high.
I like to have a cable (of whatever brand) to connect the CP300 to a PC (DOS, not Mac). If you have a cable (other than the original Nikon cable) that fits the camera I'll find a solution for the connector at the other end of that cable. That 'end' seems to be a 'regular' SCSI-connector. And the camera manual doesn't show a cable with a special converter/filter in/on it, so..........
How much would you charge for it including shipping costs? You know I am not in a hurry, so if I could have that cable before Xmas, I am fine!
Again thanks,
regards,
Nico
D1/D1X/D1H/D2H/D2X etc.
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

Maybe I'm missing something here.

Is there a special connector at the camera end, or is that where you have that big, fat 50-pin 'centronics' (from the now-defunct printer company that first started using this style of connector) connector??

Or, is the computer where you have the 50-pin centronics and you need something else at the camera end??

Usually, the SCSI-1 computer cards use a 25-pin DB-25 connector as the 50-pin Centronics is too large to fit thru the opening for the IBM PC style card slots. This is true for both the Mac and the IBM clones.

The difference is that the 50-pin is driven differentially whilst the 25-pin is driven common-mode (one ground for all signal lines). SCSI-1 can work either way, but the total length for cabling is reduced when one runs it in common-mode.

I was originally thinking that you needed a SCSI-1 cable that used the big, fat Centronics 50-pin connector on *both* ends. Those I have. Somewhere.l

I also have cables with the 68-pin SCSI-2 connectors, but that gets us into yet another whole discussion regarding SCSI and the cables....

If there's something else on the camera end, then I probably do not have it sitting and collecting dust on the Shelves of Obsolete Electronics.

Later!

Stan
Amateur Photographer
nikonnl

Post by nikonnl »

Thanks Stan & Jarle,
below a picture of the port of the CP300. It is the only Coolpix I know that doesn't use memory cards.

The manual notes: 'the Coolpix 300 comes with a 9-pin RS-232C serial cable for connection to a male 9-pin serial connector for IBM-compatible PC's (..........); before attaching your camera to the computer's SCSI chain use the SS-E300 cable (part of the Nikon SCSI kit). The SS-E300 cable has a full-pitch 50 pin-male connector'.
If you want I can place some pictures of the manual but on Nikonusa the manual can be seen (pages 77-85).

The camera makes nice pictures for its 0.3 Mp. but there is no way to transfer them to a PC, other than using those cable(s). Unfortunately the camera was bought in the USA and works on a NTSC TV-set, so I have to tape the pictures first and replay them on my video-recorder which can take both NTSC & PAL tapes.

Thanks in advance.
Nico
D1/D1X/D1H/D2H/D2X etc.
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

Well, that is not the 50-pin Centronics connector. It's much, much smaller.

There was a mini-connector for the SCSI cards on the IBM PS/2 series machines, but those are 'mini' only in reference to the Centronics connector. Even those are much larger than what you need.

After seeing the photo of what you have, I went and looked up the camera and it's much smaller than what I was thinking. I should have known, of course, that it would be small and have to use a tiny connector.

At first I thought it might use the same connector as the PCMCIA SCSI cards. Those I have a couple of, but those are even smaller than what you need.

So, it figures that with all the various SCSI cables I saved over the years that I come up blank.

Later!

Stan
Amateur Photographer
nikonnl

Post by nikonnl »

Hi Stan, again thanks!
I am so sorry that I do know nothing about cables. And I am also sorry that I cannot help you to get rid of your cables.
Let's hope someone else has that particular cable, that came in a Nikon SCSI Kit.
Regards,
Nico
D1/D1X/D1H/D2H/D2X etc.
nikonnl

Post by nikonnl »

BTW: wouldn't it be odd when Nikon invents its own connector? If it is an existing connector someone else must have marketed it, or.......?
Thanks & regards,
Nico
D1/D1X/D1H/D2H/D2X etc.
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Post by NikonWeb »

It's probably easier to use a serial cable than SCSI. And it's probably easier to find a serial cable, since it was included in the original kit (the SCSI cable was sold separately). Just a thought.

Jarle