DCS 400 Series: How to Replace the Battery Pack

Discuss older Nikon-based Kodak digital SLRs, including DCS 100, DCS 200, NC2000, DCS 400/600/700-series, etc. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

Post by NikonWeb »

Came across this useful info on the Kodak website:

October 2016: Seems like some info is now missing from the original URL, but you'll still find the original page through the Wayback machine.

Jarle
Brian Sweeney

Post by Brian Sweeney »

I have read some instances where the Battery Charger for the DCS4xx series "shuts-Down" prematurely when charging battery packs and does not bring them to full charge. I recently picked up a DCS420c and use a 14v 0.75amp charger with it. Kodak supplied the pinout for the multi-purpose connector. It was quite easy. So before assuming the pack is dead, it might be worth lokking at useing a constant current charger. I charged mine to full capacity in 3-hours.

I will upload the .pdf to my site and post a link. Or you can Email suypport at Kodak.

In general, I think we should download and post drivers and other information on these old cameras before it disappears. I found drivers for my DCS200 on someones personal site as Kodak no longer supples them.
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Post by NikonWeb »

Brian Sweeney wrote: In general, I think we should download and post drivers and other information on these old cameras before it disappears. I found drivers for my DCS200 on someones personal site as Kodak no longer supples them.
That's probably a good idea.

Kodak support is excellent, but there's obviously a limit for how long they will support old models. For example, the DCS 100 and 200 are not even listed under Discontinued models.

Still, you should be able to get drivers and manuals for every DCS camera ever made, by writing directly to kprodigital@kodak.com

Jarle
Brian Sweeney

DCS4xx Multipurpose Connector

Post by Brian Sweeney »

Courtesy of Kodak in response to a recent Email to them, and dug out deep from their archives I am sure.

This is the Pinout for the Multipurpose 7-pin DIN connector on the DCS420, DCS410, and DCS460 camera. I was able to charge the batteries using a 14v (DC) 0.75AMP charger with this diagram.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/brianvswe ... nector.pdf
Wolfi

Post by Wolfi »

Great,

I've been looking for this diagram. I want to realize a radio controlled shutter release for my DCS 420 and 460 cameras.

Also a better and more recent battery charger should be possible, but I'm technically ignorant, I have frfiends who can help, but they don't know these cameras
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

The charger is actually inside the camera on the 400 series. The thing you plug in is just a DC power supply. The internal charging control function is operated by the camera and it's firmware.

The issue where the charging ended early is, I think, caused by a temperature sensing device in the the battery pack itself telling the camera that it was warmer than it actually was. NiMH cell charging is primarily controlled by monitoring the temperature rise.

The pack is pretty simply rebuilt, and one could use better cells these days, and that would be worthwhile. Back when I had my 460c, I had rebuilt the pack fairly soon after acquiring the thing.

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer
Multifot

Re: DCS4xx Multipurpose Connector

Post by Multifot »

Brian Sweeney wrote:This is the Pinout for the Multipurpose 7-pin DIN connector on the DCS420, DCS410, and DCS460 camera. I was able to charge the batteries using a 14v (DC) 0.75AMP charger with this diagram.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/brianvswe ... nector.pdf
Hi folks!
Could somebody upload this file again (link above already dead)?
Need to build a power cord from Quantum QB5 to my lovely DCS 420m, but i need in pinout info for multipurpose connector :shock:
Multifot

Re: DCS 400 Series: How to Replace the Battery Pack

Post by Multifot »

Does anybody have this file? Really need help !
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Post by NikonWeb »

Multifot wrote:Does anybody have this file? Really need help !
Thought I had it, but I don't. Try Kodak professional support: kprodigital@kodak.com and please share the PDF if they send it to you.

Jarle
Multifot

Post by Multifot »

Hi Jarle,
Already done. Waiting for the reply from Kodak support team.
If i will receive a file with pin out scheme it will be shared.

Maxim
dicc01

Post by dicc01 »

I don't get Google. I search and search,find nothing and then out of the blue a new site appears. The one that I found yesterday might interest you:

Quote from2003:

Since nobody else said anything, here is my experience. The DCS uses a 7 mini-din plug like shown below

...O...O...O.....
.O............O..
....O.....O......

From my measurements the DC power is supplied through pins 6 an 7. I forgot which one is which but the GND is also connected to the metal edge of the plug so with an ohm meter you should be able to identify which one is GND which one is +. The DCS needs 14V at the power supply should be able to delived 2A.

Hooray!! My DCS 420 is arriving soon, maybe now I can make a power supply! If anybody can validate this info or help me find the right DIN plug I would be REALLY grateful.

Cheers
dicc01

Post by dicc01 »

Ok. I have a beautiful DCS 420 - bought as working - but no charger. I've discovered that the 7 pin Din plug on the Kodak is not standard, but I have cut off surplus pins from an 8 pin plug and it now fits, using just pins 7 and 8. I've put a multimeter and one pin is connected to the metal outer part of the socket (as the old advice said it would)and the other registers 4k ohms resistance (battery circuit?). Therefore one pin is ground and the other (4k resistance one) is postive, right? Sooo - do i now go ahead and hook up 15v DC 2A power to the 2 pins? I'm sure it's OK but I just got nervous? Anybody care to hold my hand? Anybody done this before? Cheers!
dicc01

Post by dicc01 »

Sorry I meant pins 6 and 7.
umrüd

Post by umrüd »

Hello,

do you mean the "DCS420_connector.pdf"- document?
If it is needed i can sent it. The file includes the pinout of the connector.
How can i publish it to the forum?

Greetings
Ulrich
Multifot

Post by Multifot »

Hello, Ulrich
yes, i need in this file.
You can send it to my e-mail address and i will share it easy.
I've sent you PM with my e-mail address.
Maxim