Some News about my Kodak DCS200ci Update 20160621

Discuss older Nikon-based Kodak digital SLRs, including DCS 100, DCS 200, NC2000, DCS 400/600/700-series, etc. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
NikonD1X
antispam: No

Some News about my Kodak DCS200ci Update 20160621

Post by NikonD1X »

I have shown some Basketballfotos and took the DCS200ci to a Computer-Museum. Lot of image-editing with Lightroom and Photoshop, but it worked surprisingly well! I had to take ISO 200 and again ISO 400.

But taking fotos under sunny daylight with ISO 50/100 was a big disappointment - so far. At least my DCS200ci seems to have problems with regular, periodic structures like tiled roofs, grids, balcony balustrades under bright sunshine. I got moirés, even taking branches and leaves of a tree.

Until now I have tried the following: New install of the DCS200-firmware, mounting a hot-mirror-filter to the lens, left over from my Kodak/Canon EOS 1n/DCS3c. It did NOT really help.

Because the images are really sharp I will try a simple scrim diffusor (softener) on the lens. I have not got it so far. Parallel I have ordered a Nikon D100 antialiasingfilter. I will see if I am successful mounting the antialiasingfilter right before the DCS200-Sensor. I will report my experiences in the beginning of May.

Any other ideas?

Ralf

A big Thank you to Ross Alford on his suggestions about the moiré-failure of my (all?) Kodak DCS200ci bodies!

Ross had the idea stopping down the lens up to f/22 f/32 could help decreasing Kodak DCS200ci-moirés. I used a 4/20 mm MF Nikkor an the 2,8/45 mm GN Nikkor.

That's what I found:

YES it works. But it depends much more on focal length than f-stop!

Here you can find my full report, please use Google Translate:

https://www.digicammuseum.de/geschichte ... ema-moire/

Ralf
Last edited by NikonD1X on Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ross_Alford

Re: Some News about my Kodak DCS200ci

Post by Ross_Alford »

I'm probably too late to be of any help with this, but one thing that can help get rid of moire is to use an aperture small enough that diffraction softens the image slightly. Given the low pixel density of the DCS200 sensor, that would probably mean at least f 16 and maybe even 22 or 32, though.
NikonD1X
antispam: No

Re: Some News about my Kodak DCS200ci

Post by NikonD1X »

No problem, Ross! Any help and hint for the old Kodak/Nikon treasures is welcomed. A Nikon D800 and a Nikon D2X and sometimes the old Kodak DCS620x are my working horses. The Kodak DCS200ci is „only“ my collectable DSLR. But I will try f/22 on my 4/20 mm MF Nikkor! Thank you very much.

Ralf