Kodak DCS 420 Wonderhealing?!

Discuss older Nikon-based Kodak digital SLRs, including DCS 100, DCS 200, NC2000, DCS 400/600/700-series, etc. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
NikonD1X
antispam: No

Kodak DCS 420 Wonderhealing?!

Post by NikonD1X »

Just reported my new 75 Euro/Dollar DCS 420 some days ago. I wrote: "Even if it does not work perfect…" It does!

Now read this. Maybe a theme for our electronics-expert Stan Disbrow ;-)

Two shots taken with the Kodak AP NC 2000e:
My complete report: https://www.digicammuseum.de/geschichte ... xnc2000e/

Before

After

The only difference between the two shots: Changing of the Kodak-batteryblock to a better (newer) one!
By the way: Kodak AP NC2000e, ISO 1600, 1,4/50 mm AF Nikkor wide open…

Now it happened again with my Kodak DCS 420

Before

A sensor-failure again?

My last Kodak-Battery was two old. I switched to a homebuilt „energy-block“ containing 8 AAA NiMh cells fitting to the DCS 420-battery box. And got an ugly stripe in each photo. Hmm, what shall I do? I checked the new bought AAA-cells and found the „malefactor“. Seven of eight cells loaded perfect – seven green LED's. But one cell stayed red. Changing that one new (!) defect (!?) AAA-cell with another Eneloop: Bingo

After
(With sensor cleaning!)

The ugly stripe disappeared completely – Hurray ;-) Maybe this knowledge, this experience can help someone, trying to revive an old Kodak DCS-„babe“.
Stan Disbrow

Re: Kodak DCS 420 Wonderhealing?!

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

Welcome to the world of old/bad batteries! ;)

Yeah. Doesn't work properly when the voltage is low. Pretty much par for the course. And, just using a voltmeter on a pack won't tell the whole story. You need to measure under maximum load. Batteries drop voltage as the load increases. Bad batteries drop it faster than good ones.

And, a CCD is a current hog. Plus, they are an analog device. They store charge from the photodiodes in capacitors for each pixel. That charge is 'bucket-brigaded' towards the edge of the sensor where each 'bucket' of charge is read by an analog-to-digital converter circuit. All that requires power. Lots of power.

And, the battery pack chemistry has to keep up with that power demand, or else. You already know what that is. :P

Anybody recall the Nikon D1 series and the need to swap between two battery packs so the chemistry could keep up with demand? That, on new, good, cells.

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer