Nikon NT-3000 and other dinosaurs

Discuss Nikon E2, E3 (incl. Fujix DS-505, 515 and 56x models), the original Nikon D1 and other discontinued Nikon DSLRs. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

Nikon NT-3000 and other dinosaurs

Post by NikonWeb »

Some 20 years ago, before the age of digital cameras and global, high-speed networks, Nikon released a series of telephoto transmitters, allowing (press) photographers to scan negatives and transmit photos over analog telephone lines. The concept was revolutionary. Earlier drum transmitters required the photographer to make prints before the photos could be sent back home.

I was recently offered one of these units, a NT-3000, for a reasonable price. So, I bought it (will get it in 4-5 weeks). I already have Nikon's first such transmitter, NT-1000, and a Hasselblad Dixel 2000.

In retrospect, it's easy to describe these units as temporary solutions while waiting for better things to come. Nikon's first electronic camera, QV-1000C, came with a transmitter similar to the NT-1000 -- only smaller and without the need for a film scanner. Kodak's F3 based DCS camera came with a big, bulky Digital Storage Unit (DSU). These were the last dinosaurs. Later digital cameras depended on real computers.

Here's some more info from Nikon's own website:

http://www.nikon.co.jp/main/eng/portfol ... ns21_e.htm

Jarle