One more QV-1000C!

Discuss Nikon E2, E3 (incl. Fujix DS-505, 515 and 56x models), the original Nikon D1 and other discontinued Nikon DSLRs. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

One more QV-1000C!

Post by NikonWeb »

I was recently offered another QV-1000C, formerly owned and used by one of the major US news agencies.

Needless to say, I got it!

The camera is very nice, close to mint, and came complete with the two QV lenses (10-40mm f/1.4 and 11-120mm f/2), a few VF-10 video floppy disks, QE-110 Floppy Disk Eraser, and QS-10D DC battery charger.

The only thing missing from the original, full kit is the QV-1010T transmitter. According to the photographer who sold it, the transmitter was "simply lost during storage--perhaps thrown away".

Two of a kind:

According to its former owner, this particular camera (to the left in the photo above) was used for a Space Shuttle shot, a joint session of U.S. Congress and President George Bush (the first) Inauguration.

According to former Nikon engineer Kenji Toyoda, the manager in charge of the QV-1000C, only 180 or 190 units were made, making it one of the rarest Nikon cameras ever. Less than half of them were sold outside of Japan.

Jarle
nikonnl

QV-1000C

Post by nikonnl »

Congratulations Jarle with this camera and the Fuji you've bought today at ebay. I couldn't stay up that long :-)
What are the serial numbers of these QV-series? And of the lenses? You don't have to give me the exact numbers but I am interested in the production.
Regards,
Nico
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Re: QV-1000C

Post by NikonWeb »

nikonnl wrote:Congratulations Jarle with this camera and the Fuji you've bought today at ebay. I couldn't stay up that long :-)
What are the serial numbers of these QV-series? And of the lenses? You don't have to give me the exact numbers but I am interested in the production.
Thanks Nico,

Like I mentioned, production is easy. Here's the actual Q&A with Mr. Kenji Toyoda:

Q: Exactly how many QV-1000C cameras were made?

A: I don't know the exact number. But I believe it did not exceed 200. Perhaps, somewhere between 180 and 190, I guess.

Q: How many cameras were distributed outside of Japan (in Europe, USA, etc)?

A: I don't know for sure. I think less than half of them were sold outside of Japan.

I have some more interesting info as well, but I'm saving some of it for a future article for the Nikon Historical Society. I hope to write it soon, but I won't promise anything. So much to do, so little time..

My two bodies are no. 200242 and 200129. My four lenses are also in the 200xxx range. As far as I can tell, the QV kits were not sold with matching serial numbers. On the contrary, it seems like all the QV serial numbers are unique, meaning that you won't find a lens, camera or transmitter with the exact same serial number.

If this assumption is correct, some 720 unique 200xxx serial numbers were used (180 kits including camera, transmitter and two lenses).

I'm compiling a list of all the QV serial numbers I've encountered, and plan to make this information available later.

Jarle
NIKON KIU

who else has two?

Post by NIKON KIU »

You are one lucky man :wink:
I don't have one :cry:

I have to admit Jarle, You are the sole figure on this camera....I don't think anyone has seen 3 before!!!

Kiu
Lets talk Nikon
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Re: who else has two?

Post by NikonWeb »

NIKON KIU wrote:You are one lucky man :wink:
Thanks Kiu,

Yes, I've been very lucky. For obvious reasons, this camera is extremely difficult to find. Hopefully, there are still a few more out there, just waiting to be found.

Jarle