Nikon E-series memory cards - please report your findings

Discuss Nikon E2, E3 (incl. Fujix DS-505, 515 and 56x models), the original Nikon D1 and other discontinued Nikon DSLRs. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

Nikon E-series memory cards - please report your findings

Post by NikonWeb »

Hopefully, this will become the ultimate list of tested memory cards for Nikon/Fujifilm E-series cameras. Both working and non-working. Please post your findings in this thread (include as much relevant information as possible), and I'll add them to the list below. Cards listed under a particular camera "generation" will probably also work with later generation cameras, even if it's not tested/listed. Last generation (E3, E3s, DS-560, DS-565) cameras are much easier to work with than earlier models.

Nikon E2, E2s, Fujix DS-505, DS-515 (first generation):

Working:
  • Nikon EC-15, original 15MB "Flash ATA high speed" PCMCIA card
  • Fujifilm HG-10, 10 MB High speed Flash ATA PCMCIA image memory card, P/N 36H2973
  • IBM Solid State File 40 MB PCMCIA card - P/N 40G3165, Dated May 1995
  • Microtech 96 MB Hi-Speed ATA PCMCIA
Not working:
  • Smart Modular Technologies (?) 130 MB ATA PC Card (marked "USB enabled")
  • IBM 80MB "Solid State File," part number 36H1757 from 1996, will not work in a DS-505 (works fine with a Fujifilm DS-300)

Nikon E2N, E2Ns, Fujix DS-505A, DS-515A (second generation):

Working:
  • Fujifilm HG-10, 10 MB High speed Flash ATA PCMCIA image memory card, P/N 36H2973
  • IBM Solid State File PC Card 80Mb P/N:36H1757
Not working:
  • Smart Modular Technologies (?) 130 MB PCMCIA ATA PC Card (marked "USB enabled")
  • Various compact flash cards (incl. vintage Nikon 8 MB and 16 MB cards - EC-8CF and EC-16CF) in two different (3M and Canon) PCMCIA adapters
  • SanDisk 96Mb, SDP3B
  • Sharp 10Mb, CE-AF05
Nikon E3, Nikon E3s, Fujix DS-560, DS-565 (third generation):

Working:
  • Smart Modular Technologies (?) 130 MB PCMCIA ATA PC Card (marked "USB enabled")
  • Fujifilm 512 MB compact flash card in both 3M and Canon CF PCMCIA adapter
  • Ridata 512 MB compact flash card in both 3M and Canon CF PCMCIA adapter
  • TwinMOS 128 MB compact flash card in both 3M and Canon CF PCMCIA adapter
  • Lexar 80 MB compact flash card in Canon CF PCMCIA adapter (another identical card did not work)
Not working:
  • Lexar 80 MB compact flash card in Canon CF PCMCIA adapter (another identical card DID work)
Last edited by NikonWeb on Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:52 am, edited 6 times in total.
Reason: IBM 80MB Solid State File not working with DS-505
nausee

Re: Nikon E-series memory card tests

Post by nausee »

Nikon E2N,
NOT working: SanDisk 96Mb, SDP3B; Sharp 10Mb, CE-AF05
Stan Disbrow

Re: Nikon E-series memory cards - please report your findings

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

I had a Microtech 96 MB Hi-Speed ATA PCMCIA memory card that worked in my original Nikon E2.

That was the first non Nikon branded card I'd found to work in the E2.

The key is in the 'Hi-Speed' nomenclature.

I no longer have the card, but all my remaining E-series stuff was sold to Rory Blake, a member here. I bet he still has it all as he was actively using E-series cameras on medical research microscopes. If there's a part number on the card, he can probably supply it.

I also found that the E2 has a sub-128 MB limit so the 96 MB card was as large a commercially available card that could be used. I never got anything 128 MB or larger to function even after asserting that hi-speed pin.

Later!

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer
nausee

Post by nausee »

IBM Solid State File PC Card 80Mb P/N:36H1757 works on E2N
blakehoo

Post by blakehoo »

Thanks, Stan:

I'll check next time I'm in Charlotte.
I'm moving to Henderson....just a few miles north of Raleigh.
Let's touch base in the next week or so.

Thanks again
Rory
Ben Audet

Post by Ben Audet »

Awesome!! Thanks for sharing guys! I'm the new proud owner of a nice looking Nikon E2N that, unfortunately, came without a memory card. I was on the edge of buying a Sharp CE-AF05 when I decided to take a look at the Vintage forum, and I found it! Thanks!

Now, I try to find something to put in my E2N. If I decide to go with something not listed here, I'll keep you informed of the results.
sfpeter

Post by sfpeter »

PNY 8MB, part number P-CF008PA-BX is supposed to be compatible with the DS-505/515, at least according to their old ads. Does anyone know if the "Series 2" moniker on some PCMCIA cards means the same as "High Speed?" I see that on several Intel cards. I also know the spec that FUJI/Nikon listed for the cards was PCMCIA 2.1, but I don't know if that's what they mean by "Series 2" or not.
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

I think 'series 2' is referring to the newer cards that are faster than the 'Hi-Speed' variant of the 'series 1' cards.

This is one of those cases where there was no markings at all on 'series 1' cards to that effect as they didn't need such a designation until some smart folks made one of those 'leaps' by way of improvement that meant they now needed a new designation. That being 'series-2'......

The problem is that they did not assert that 'hi-speed' pin. If they did, then the 'series-2' cards would not work in 'series-1' devices that would work with 'lo-speed' cards. By leaving the pin alone, then the new cards would work in most of the older equipment.

Except for the oddball item that actually wanted that 'hi-speed' pin asserted. Then, they'd be pretty much out of luck.

The real issue is that there were precious few things at the time that required the 'hi-speed' 'series-1' cards. In fact the only device that I've ever run across that required a 'hi-speed' 'series-1' card was the Nikon E-series DSLR cameras.....

later!

Stan
Amateur Photographer
sfpeter

Post by sfpeter »

Here's some more info:

These DSLRs use PCMCIA Type-I and Type-II form factor memory cards.

They need to be of the 5 volt variety, or dual voltage (3.3v and 5v). None of the Compact Flash cards in a PCMCIA adapter will work, since CF cards are 3.3v.

They need to be ATA type cards, not linear memory type cards. There are a lot of PCMCIA linear flash memory cards on eBay, since routers use them. They will not work.

The speed of the card need to be at least 8x. This is what the Fuji and Nikon spec sheets mean when they refer to 'High Speed ATA Flash'.

The size of the card needs to be less than 128 MB for the DS-505 and DS-515 models. 128 MB is all the address space they have. There used to be 96 MB and 80 MB sized cards, but today they jump from 64 MB to 128 MB.

The source was a post Stan made to DPreview in 2003. (I'm still digging around trying to find one that works.)
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

Yes, this keeps coming up. In addition to all that, there is a normally unused pin on the card that is asserted 'hi' to indicate that it is a Hi-Speed card. Later cards that are actually faster do not have that pin asserted 'hi'.

The pin assertion was never made a standard, but the E-series cameras look for it anyway.

I always suspected their asserting that pin, and then looking for it, was an attempt to get more people to buy Nikon and Fuji branded memory cards at the time.

I once had a couple Microtech 96 MB cards with the pin asserted, which worked in the E-series. There was once a time when I picked up memory cards whenever I saw them (mostly at hamfests), but only ever found a few that worked, and most of them were quite low capacity.

Later!

Stan
Amateur Photographer
nausee

Post by nausee »

Hi,

It may not be appropriate to post in this thread. Anyway, I have a Smartmedia to PCMCIA adaptor on hand but don't have any 5V smartmedia to test on my E2N. It is really difficult to find any 5V SM card now, not even on ebay. I don't know if any of you have experience with this kind of adapter on E-series.

Please let me know if I am posting on the wrong thread, I would start a new one.
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

This is the right thread to discuss any ideas as to what memory cards might work in a Nikon E-series DSLR. Unfortunately, I have zero experience with 5v SmartMedia cards in the E-series.

Later!

Stan
Amateur Photographer
nikonnl

Post by nikonnl »

Hi friends,
in November last year I offered a Toshiba 20Mb Flash memory card ATA. Nobody reacted. If someone wants this card (for FREE, just pay the stamp), which can be used on Nikon E-series, just let me know.
First come, first served!!
Regards,
Nico

www.nicovandijk.net
D1/D1X/D1H/D2H/D2X etc.
artinnikko

Post by artinnikko »

Hi Nico, I am in. Just let me know how to send you money... cheers martin
nikonnl

Post by nikonnl »

OK Martin, mail me via my website www.nicovandijk.net and I'll give you the details.
Regards,
Nico
D1/D1X/D1H/D2H/D2X etc.