Nikon Coolpix 100, E-100 on eBay

Discuss Nikon E2, E3 (incl. Fujix DS-505, 515 and 56x models), the original Nikon D1 and other discontinued Nikon DSLRs. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
Stan Disbrow

Nikon Coolpix 100, E-100 on eBay

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

Yes, it's a Nikon. No, it's not a DSLR and - Yes, it's a plug for my own auction. Shameless!

The reason: I was chatting quite a while back with someone on here about the CP-100 that wanted it for a collection. I can't find the thread, although I did find a couple where I mentioned that I had one lost on the Shelves of Obsolete Electronics. That's a place not unlike the Island of Misfit Toys, except it's covered in dust, not snow! :P

It might have been a series of PM's now erased. I can't recall.

So, while I was looking for something else lost on the SOE, I tripped across this CP-100 still in it's box. I never did find what I was originally looking for, though. The SOE is like that - always. I think you need to use the Force when searching the SOE, but I was never trained in the Jedi Arts..... :P

Anyway, I have been putting things found on the SOE on eBay as I find them whilst looking for what I want to keep but can't find, so I decided to do the same with this.

Perhaps the person I've been searching thru the threads for will see it in time. I know it's a US-only auction, but we'll figure out how to get it elsewhere for a member of this board. It might be more money for shipping than the $15 flat rate I have listed in the auction, though. We'll get it worked out.

Auction Link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0444873849

later!

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer
cgrab
antispam: No

Re: Nikon Coolpix 100, E-100 on eBay

Post by cgrab »

That was me, the guy looking for a Coolpix 100. I got one in the meantime, it didn't arrive yet, so essentially I'd still be interested (I say that here, because the PMs do suffer from cleaning up).

If you find a Coolpix 300 on the SOE, I'd be interested too.

Christoph
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

Ah, I knew it was someone on this board, but I just could not locate the reference when I wanted it.

No one seems interested in the 100 so far. No bids, so it's still at One Dollar. Well, it is rather odd, isn't it?

I don't recall ever having had a CP300, so I doubt there's one on the SOE out there.

later!

Stan
Amateur Photographer
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Post by NikonWeb »

Hi Stan,

Enjoyed reading your eBay description. Actually, the Coolpix 100 manual is available online - right here on NikonWeb.com:

http://www.nikonweb.com/files/CP100man.pdf (1.5 MB PDF)

Enjoy!

Jarle
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

Yeah, the manual is a hoot to read. Well, it was pretty darned good at the time, wasn't it? It takes better photos than my first cell phone camera, which was the CommuniCam that attached to the bottom of the T68i, and we did that one a couple years after Nikon did the CP100. ;)

I still love the pop-it-apart-and-it-becomes-a-PCMCIA-memory-card feature. That one is unique. I can't think of anything else, camera or not, that pulled off that trick!

Well, a couple folks on this board expressed an interest. Get out there and bid a few bucks on the thing. It's still sitting at only one dollar. I'll figure out how to ship it overseas for anyone here on the board. The Post Office will do it as I shipped a Kodak battery charger to Jarle that way. It wasn't cheap shipping, but whatever they charge me is what that part will cost.

If someone wants to do a deal completely through here, let me know while there are no bids on it. I can cancel the auction if no one's placed a bid.

later!

Stan
Amateur Photographer
nikonnl

Post by nikonnl »

Plus, Stan-san, the Nikon Coolpix 100 is the only Nikon camera for left-handed photographers!!!!
Regards,
Nico
D1/D1X/D1H/D2H/D2X etc.
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

Huh? What makes the 100 more left-handed than anything else? Most cameras work on either eye pretty much the same. I know since I'm left-eyed.

Maybe there's something more to handedness than the aiming part, though. I'm ambidexterous as far as my hands themselves go and can pretty much do whatever with either hand depending on just what the device I'm using wants me to do.

For example, I shoot handguns with it in my right hand, but still aim with my left eye. That means I hold the gun a little funny but it works. I shoot rifles and shotguns and bow & arrow left-handed because the device requires me to hold it such to get it in front of the aiming eye.

When working on stuff, tools are sometimes in my right hand, and sometimes in my left, all depending on which hand makes for the easiest work.

I can even write with my left hand, although I do use the muscles on the left side the same as I would on the right side, so what I write left-handed comes out mirror-imaged looking pretty much like what comes out of my right hand. You just have to hold it to a mirror to read it!

I once had to do that for school long ago when I had my right hand in a cast and it was quite the source of amusement to all my teachers. That was a short-term issue, so I never bothered to train my left hand to write in the manner most left-handed people do to get it to come out right-way around.

So, when it comes to cameras, I'd be at home with one where I hold the camera in my right hand and push the button with my right finger as I would be using one where I had to use my left.

It's been a long time since I used the CP100, but I just tried it in each hand it it makes no difference. I still stick it in front of my left eye with either hand, though, as anytime I'm aiming something I use my left eye no matter what it is happen to be aiming.

So, I think I'm missing something with regards to the comment.....

later!

Stan
Amateur Photographer
nikonnl

Post by nikonnl »

Hi Stan, nearly all cameras ever produced and sold have their shutter trigger at the right hand side of the body. For older rangefinder cameras (like Leica) there were/are special accessories for people that are lefthanded. What eye you use doesn't matter, it is the hand/finger you are using to trigger the shutter. The Coolpix 100 is the only Coolpix that can be used by lefthanded photogrpahers as well.
Regards,
Nico
D1/D1X/D1H/D2H/D2X etc.
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

The part I don't understand is why using the right index finger to trigger a camera would be an issue for a left handed person. It's not like that act requires much in the way of dexterity. I can see where it might be uncomfortable at first, but I always figured that would pass in time as a matter of getting used to it.

Which hand one uses the most is tied to which eye is the master eye, which is why I was thinking mostly about aiming. That's the act likely to be the most difficult to change from one side to the other. It is for me, anyway. I can use either hand pretty much equally well, but I really, really hate to aim using my right eye over my left. I suppose that's because I know that the right eye will always make me point off to the left of target even if I close my left eye in the process.

Now, with a camera, the aiming is all optically inside the camera, so it would not matter which eye I used - what is in the frame is what is in the frame - but I do wind up feeling all wrong if I put my right eye up to the eyepiece. I don't feel that way at all holding the 100 in my right hand or my left hand, though, as long as I'm looking thru it with my left eye. It's not my hand and finger choice that bother me, it's my eye choice.

Maybe most folks feel the same way regarding their hands as I do regarding my eyes. If so, then I probably can understand what I never really thought about before.

I have enough cross-wiring in my nervous system such that my hand choice is pretty immaterial. I even work on microelectronics, as in soldering tiny leads under a microscope, using either hand to hold the iron and the other to hold the solder. It all depends on the orientation of the circuitry I'm working on as to which thing needs to come from which direction.

Holding and firing a camera is a lot easier, so I never gave it much thought...

Anyway, I do see your point, that the central placement of the shutter button and eyepiece on the 100 means that hand or eye choice does not matter. And, I can't think of any other camera where that is true, either. Something else to think about....

later!

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

I ended the auction to sell it to nikonnl for the buck he'd bid on it. Oh, he'll pay more than that when we figure out what the Post Office charges for me to ship it across the pond. ;)

This way, I get what I wanted - it to go to someone I know that wants it for his collection. :)

later!

Stan
Amateur Photographer
nikonnl

Post by nikonnl »

Thanks Stan, for this nice deal!! Although it is my second CP100 I am glad I have all the boxes and paperwork now. I wonder how many were made/sold, since the serial numbers of both cameras have a gap of several thousands. Now I have to find a nice CP300.
Thanks again and regards,
Nico
D1/D1X/D1H/D2H/D2X etc.
nikonnl

Post by nikonnl »

Has anybody seen the results of the recent Westlicht Auctions (www.westlicht-auction.com) ? The Coolpix 100 NIB went for 100 euro. Some NASA gear and Nikon RF gear fetched a lot of money (up to 140,000 euro!).
BTW: I have now a Coolpix 100 & 300. It might take some weeks but then there will be an exposition in the NPS office near Amsterdam with all Coolpix cameras ever made (110+)!
Regards,
Nico

www.nicovandijk.net
D1/D1X/D1H/D2H/D2X etc.