Latest addition: Nikon FM

Discuss non-DSLR models (e.g. Coolpix cameras), other camera brands, your latest cool photography gadget, computer stuff and other photography related issues that don't fit in the Vintage Kodak and Nikon DSLR forums.
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

Latest addition: Nikon FM

Post by NikonWeb »

WARNING: This is just another silly look-at-me-I've-got-a-new-camera post with little or no value or interest to anyone but the owner himself. Still, I couldn't resist.

My first real camera was a Nikon FE2, bought brand new just after its release in 1983. I've since collected a few more FE2, FE and FM bodies. I've used some of these professionally, and in my opinion they are some of Nikon's finest cameras ever. Just a few days ago I was given this close to mint FM body. I've always preferred black bodies, but this chrome FM is just so darn pretty!

Jarle
Stan Disbrow

Re: Latest addition: Nikon FM

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

I carried an FM with a 28mm f2 lens and an SB-10 flash with me for 18 years worth of fire/rescue work. I used it for scene documentation. The camera kit fit neatly into my (rather sizable) first-aid kit.

I used an FE-1 or an FA for most of my regular shooting but chose the FM for rescue work because I never needed to be concerned about having dead batteries in the camera. With Kodak Tri-X 400 B&W film, if the flash quit on me I wasn't out of luck as the fast B&W film would work quite well with just the 'nightfighter' lights we used to illuminate a scene so we could see to work.

It was a great little camera. :)

Later!

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer